Chapter 7

Now it was Thanksgiving break that was filled with nights with Monse and days with Oscar then the crew. Thanksgiving was obviously spent with family until the sun went down and everyone met at Ruby's place. Everyone was walking and having a good time, but Elizabeth knew that Monse and Ruby were still hurting from seeing their loved one with another person.

"Where's Mario? I was hoping to see him," Jamal asked.

Ruby smirked, "he went with his new bougie girlfriend to Nevada,"

"Instead of coming home?" Monse asked.

"Monse, he is in the bone zone with his new girl," Elizabeth chuckled.

"True,"

"Can you pass the tres leches?" Olivia asked, "my mom makes the best tres leches for my birthday. Guess not this year,"

"Don't say that," Monse comforted, "maybe your folks will be home before your birthday,"

"In a week? I don't think so," Olivia looked down.

"Wait," Ruby paused, "your quince is in a week? And you didn't tell us?! Mom, dad! Olivia's quince is in a week!"

"It's not a big deal," Olivia tried to tell Ruby.

Ruby's family came to the main room and surrounded the girl, "is this true?"

"Olivia, don't you worry about a thing. I can get my shift covered next weekend and we can have it here next Saturday," Ruby's dad said.

There were cheers coming from everyone except for Olivia, who went to hide in her room. Elizabeth nudged Cesar, pointing towards her room. The two went to the room to look inside and saw Olivia crying, but she quickly wiped them away when she heard them coming in. They moved to sit next to her when Monse opened the door again to join them, but soon after all three pulled each other in a hug.

"You don't have to do this," Olivia sniffled.

"We're not doing anything. This is for me," Monse smiled at the crying girl.

"And me," Cesar and Elizabeth said in sync.

"We felt the need to hug. Now accept the hug, damn it," Elizabeth chuckled with everyone.

"I can't believe I'm about to have my first birthday without my parents and it's my quince," Olivia wiped under her nose, "it's so ironic. I mean, since I was able to walk, my mother has driven me crazy talking about my quinceañera. Trying recipes, cutting magazines, making playlists. My dad, practicing our waltz so he'd have it down on the day. He's been practicing for years. Years!"

"That's a lot of dancing," Monse said.

"Yeah. He has no rhythm. Like none. So, my feet are shredded, all in the name of my mother's obsession, which I used to pray to stop. But now it has...I miss it," Olivia finished.

Ruby walked in, "what's going on?"

"Nothing. You just totally and completely devastated Olivia by suggesting she have a quince," Monse said.

The short friend walked over to the hug pile and joined in, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to rub salt on the wound,"

"It's not your fault. I haven't seen my parents in months and I've barely talked to them. It's just a nightmare situation,"

Ruby stood up, "which is why you should have a party!"

"Ruby, she doesn't want to celebrate. Are you even listening?" Monse looked at Ruby in disbelief.

"I am," Ruby rolled his eyes, "what I'm hearing is how important this party is to her mom,"

"I can't do this without her," Olivia said.