13

Alex

"Do ywu thwink we shwouldmove the lwaunch up a dway?" I mumbled to Christian in between bites of fried noodles

"Finish chewing your food first." Christian snapped back at me. I took a few moments to swallow before continuing.

"The initial launch for Mavericks is set for next week Monday, right? Well if we push that launch to Tuesday, we could have an early showcase for the next season designs with Miles's camping gear. I think it would be a great collaboration with Maverick's sports-gear. It would also save us on marketing expenses considering we wouldn't need to host two different events." I explained.

Christian gave me a nod. "I could work with that, yeah. That would mean crunch time however, are you prepared to put in that overtime?" He asked.

"Well, the money we save can just be added to my bonus." I replied, sending Christian a wink. He chuckled.

"You fucking wish. I'll add additional compensation to your next check, after I witness you pull this off."

I let out a small huff, as I shoved another spoon full of rice into my mouth.

-

Christian and I didn't really have the time to take an actual break, so the last half hour had consisted of him and I eating Eddie Chang at his desk, while continuing our conversations regarding work.

Once we were done with lunch, we went straight back into it. I focused on closing out those IT Desk Help tickets. Christian worked on organizing the agreement documents John had signed for us.
Occasionally, I would steal glances Christian's way.

I liked watching him work.

He had this serious yet cute expression plastered on his face as he reviewed the data entry analysis for Marketing. Every time his eyes caught mine, I looked away bashfully. His lips would then curl up into this smug smile. A smile that had once brought me irritation, but now just made me horny.

By the time 6pm rolled around, I was thoroughly surprised to hear we were done for the day. Time had gone by so quickly.

"We'll take care of the rest tomorrow. I think we've done enough today, plus I've got to head over to my parents anyways." Christian announced, as he started to help me put together the remaining work. "I can't remember the last time I've been home this much in the span of a few days. Slav was meant to leave this week, but after everything that happened at the Gala, I highly doubt that's going to happen anytime soon."

I helped put away the rest of the files, as we got our coats and briefcases together. Christian did one last check to make sure all sensitive information had been filed, then we made our way out to the elevator together.

"How is it? With him being here?" I asked honestly.

"It's not that I don't love my father," he started, "but I've for sure gotten used to him being gone. Now that he's home, memories- both good and bad, have already started resurfacing."

I glanced over at Christian. It was just now dawning on me that this man probably knew more about my life, than I did about his.

"Slav was a very difficult father when we were younger. My relationship to him was tattered, especially in comparison to his relationship with Brad. They were close, almost inseparable. I always thought Slav was overcompensating with his love for Brad, because of Brad's childhood... but I'm sure that assumption stemmed from my own feelings of inadequacy and jealousy."

The elevator descended down to the garage floor, where both mine and Christian's cars were located. I had almost forgotten I left it here after the night at the Gala.

There was a slight pang in my heart from Christian's words, as he continued on.

"I would've had to of been blind to not see how my mother treated Brad. It wasn't that she didn't love him, I think she just found it hard trying to understand how to." He explained. "There was a particular night where she had gotten a little too drunk, and told me how Brad was a spitting image of her brother when he was younger. I think there was a lot for her to unpack there, a lot of hurt and emotion that she rather of shoved deep down inside of her, then deal with."

I honestly couldn't imagine having to handle a situation like that.

"As terrible as it sounds, through most of Brad's high school and college days, it was almost as if my mother was forced to see the face of her attacker everyday. And it was pain on both ends. I saw how hollowed out it made Brad. How much pain it brought him to see how much pain he inadvertently caused for her. When she handed this company off to me, that damaged Brad in an entirely different way."

I followed Christian to where our two cars were parked. I didn't say a thing as I listened to him talk, from fear he would end the conversation short. I craved to learn more about this man.

"Slav being here has been challenging." Christian admitted. "His expectations of me damn near drove me to a breakdown when he was here last. The pressures he had placed on my shoulders, were pressures I wasn't equipped to handle. We did our best to mend that broken relationship with phone calls, and letters throughout the following years... but it's hard for someone so stuck in their ways, to change.

"Now, with everything resurfacing, I think my family is being forced to address things we've all kept in the dark. I can't imagine what's running through Brad's mind right now. Slav believes that he is Brad's father. I don't disagree with this statement, but Slav has this way of making Brad feel like he is Brad's only father. I personally don't think it's that simple."

The sounds of Christian unlocking his car, pulled me away from the conversation momentarily.

"As awful as Brad's biological father is, I know there's a part of him that wants answers. There's a part of him that doesn't want Vadik to disappear again. There's a part of him that wants to go see him."

Christian helped me set the remainder of my things in the back of my car, before meeting me at my drivers side door. I glanced up at him, as his eyes gazed back down at myself. Even in the poorly lit underground parking, they were as blue as day. My heartbeat quickened when Christian took another step closer to me.

"Unfortunately, I think that's the part of Brad that Brad is most terrified of.... The part of him that wants to know his biological father."

••