-Chapter Six ½-

~And when you're broken on the ground, you will be found~

T.W: Bullying, homophobic slurs, suicide attempt, minor violence, small mention of drugs.

(I know. Another angst thing? Right after that? I'm s o r r y. 😂 but like... I'm still gonna do it.)

Connor and Jared have decided to try to hang out after school as much as they could, and today was a free day for the both of them.

If Connor spent a Friday night away from home, he knew his family would immediately assume he was doing drugs or some shit like that. But he didn't care. He wad having fun. He was given hope that it actually matters if he's alive or not. He was going to keep hanging out with Jared, because he found someone that likes him. He thinks he does, anyways.

The emo boi was walking down the hallway, clutching onto his bookbag strap as he stared down at his classic black Converse. The words 'But who could love me? I am out of my mind,' was written on the welt of the shoe: a quote from PANIC! At the Disco he loves. His hair was up in a messy bun, a sign that he was actually okay with life and not self-conscious at the moment.

He glanced off to the side, doing a double-take as he saw Jared by his locker. He was about to wave, smiling shyly and slightly until he saw people he desperately didn't want Jared near again. Jake, George, Chloe and Madeline walked up to him, Chloe and Madeline obviously more interested in their phones than whatever the fuck is going on at the moment.

Connor blended into the crowd, leaning against a nearby wall and tugged at his bookbag strap with a small, nervous cough.

"You do realize how nice we are being to let a geek like you hang out with us, right?" Jake asked.

Jared winced, nodding and closing his locker.

"Yeah. And I pay you back with almost whatever you ask for. Your point is?"

"If we let you hang out with us, you need to watch who you're friends with," Madeline chimed in, scrolling through her Instagram feed.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?"

George sighed, leaning against the lockers.

"It means, dumb ass, that we saw you hanging out with that emo faggot after school yesterday. Not only does that affect how others will treat you, it affects how others will treat us."

Connor's breathing hitched, and he began to pick at the black nail polish on his thumb.

Jared, on the other hand, was internally panicking, but kept his cool. He subtly tapped on the rim of his glasses, pushing them up the bridge of his nose.

"Look. He was having a bad day, and I couldn't help but take pity on him. I'm sorry, alright? We're not actually friends or anything. I don't even care about him."

Connor winced, and fought back tears as he gnawed on his bottom lip. Jake glanced unsurely at George, and that's when Chloe decided to step in.

"Whatever. Just believe him for now, and if he turns out to be lying you guys can just kick his ass later. Now come on," she groaned, taking Jake's hand and pulling him down the hallway with her.

George shrugged with Madeline, the other pair walking behind them as Jared sighed in relief.

Connor watched in anger, frustration and sadness as the names 'Dillinger' and 'Eaker' glistened with pride on the backs of their letterman jackets he completely despises. He stood up from leaning against the wall, walking up to Jared.