30 | H A N D S

Birds sing not because they have answers but because they have songs.
~ African proverb

_________________________________

Mbali

"Did you enjoy the mission?" Sanaa asked me and placed her chin in her hands. Nakia sat across from us, looking down and picking at the bowl of fruit that someone gave her. We were back at the palace, and for once, it wasn't as hectic. People weren't running around getting things done, but T'challa still had guards everywhere. Probably in case things got out of hand. But with him, M'Baku, and even Erik could handle themselves pretty well.

Maybe it was for the protection of others.

Looking at Sanna, I rolled my eyes and took one of the berries from Nakia's bowl, tossing it at her head. "You know good and well it wasn't a mission— so you both set me up."

"Hey, I didn't want to be on the opposite side of T'Challa's complaining." Nakia shook her head. "I wanted to tell you; but you know how he is. When his mind is made up, there only way you're gonna change it, is if you take it out." She shrugged.

"You didn't want to give any hints, at least?"

"I didn't want you to worry about what was going on here. You know how you can be— any type of threat comes up, you're dropping everything to see what the problem is." Nakia tossed a grape into her mouth.

Sanaa looked between us and rolled her eyes. "Okay... so enough of the bullshit and cutting corners to avoid the real questions we have. What's going on with you and N'Jadaka?"

"Nothing." I shrugged. "We've been up to the same thing since I left, just less arguing." And I lied.

I didn't want to open my mouth and say anything that I was perfectly fine with saying between him and I, but want ready to put out to everyone else. I'm sure he didn't care, but I wanted to actually process what was going on between the both of us before opening my mouth. Besides, I love them; but it wasn't really their business anyway. Even if they might have already figured out some things.

"And that 'same thing' is what exactly?"

"Working and trying to coexist in the same space." I chuckled.

"But the glow you had when I talked to you—"

"I went to spas and other self-care facilities while I was gone. Plus, maybe I was just happy to be away for a minute."

'Please come from the meeting
before they start asking me a million questions.'

"So... nothing? No connection?" I could hear the slight disappointment in Sanaa's voice.

"Nope."

'I know you hear me...'

'I'm in a meeting, love. Can't talk.'

'You're talking to me now!'

'And I'm about to tune you out, til it's done.'

"Well, shit. Definitely got my hopes up." Sanaa grumbled and looked at Nakia who was laughing at her expression. "I don't care what you say, you both definitely had sex again... but I won't pressure it."