Chapter♾1

Wren Percy

June 1st,2018

"Wren Percy"

My whole family screamed as loud as they can for me. I made my way to the stage so I can take this damn picture and get my diploma. Since I was in the class council, they made us go last. My gpa in high school was 4.0. I was class teacher pet and principal pet. Everybody at school called me a pet cause I would always be under the principal and teachers. At least I was tryna make the school more funner this year and not like last year.

Last year was hell. The seniors would make shit so difficult for the rest of the classes. Like y'all older then us but act like pre-schoolers. Thank god the year went by so fast. It was our year now and our year was the best. I made sure it was best. My friends kept telling me to leave it alone and let the year flow but hell no. I want to have fun my senior year. And I did.

After they called my name, I sat down looking inside my diploma cover not seeing my diploma. "Where's the diploma?"I ask one of the other council member.

"They gone give it to us in the back"she whispered listening to the principal talk. I felt my stomach grumble as the principal kept going on and on and on about how great we was and blah blah blah. Half of us wasn't great. Not even the council members.

𝙇𝙖𝙩𝙚𝙧

"Wren!! Over here!!"I heard my mom yelled out. I smiled once I seen my family with balloons and a teddy bear. I ran over to my mom hugging her then my dad. "Ohhhhhh, I'm sooooo proud of you"she smiled.

"Thanks mom"I smiled back. "Dorian not here?"I ask.

"No, he's at work"my dad spoke. I rolled my eyes thinking about Dorian ugly ass. He told me he was gone be here.

"Alright nah, lets go eat. I'm starving"my aunt walked right in front of us. I followed my family to they cars that was parked all the way in the back. They wrong for that.

We finally made it to Applebee's. Why we couldn't go to one of them fancy restaurants. I know Wisconsin have some nice restaurants instead Applebee's.

"Lawd my grandchild done graduated out of high school with a 4.0"my grandmother rejoiced.

"Momma you know my baby smart like me"my father stated.

"No she smart like me"my mother joined in.

"That's because you came from a rich background"my father mumbled. I heard him though. My mother looked at him for a second and giggled. "I take that back"

"Mhmmm"she playfully rolled her eyes.

"So wren, what college you going to?"my cousin ask.

"I was thinking NYU"I smiled. My family nodded they head saying I picked the right choice. Except my mother. Her smiled went away. "What's wrong?"

"Why New York? What the hell is in New York?!"she semi yelled.

"Mom...."

"Daisha, don't yell at her like that"my father looked at my mother full of worried. "Now she picked the right college. New York is a great place for her to go to school at and I'm happy for her"

"But NYU ain't a HBCU college. She's going to the whi....."

"I don't wanna hear it"—"Let her be the first African American girl to walk in NYU. Plus Wisconsin is kind of close to New York"my father beamed.

"Mom please, that's my future college"I pleaded. I gave her the puppy dog eyes and quiver my lips. She sigh heavily looking at the ceiling.

"Fine"everyone cheered that she finally agreed. My father kissed her cheek and smiled at me.

Finally, I'm one step closer to my dream college.