Chapter 4: An "Electrifying" Fight

12/28/19

10:01 am

Weird Woods

    Getting inside Weird Woods was a lot easier than I thought. In the human world, you had to crawl under a wired gate—which I barely fit through three years ago—just to get to the entrance of the forest. As for here, let's just say it was simple matter of walking in.

    The trees once again surrounded the two of us as the same layout three years ago was injected toward the scene. It was a nostalgia that I truly wanted to forget every single day of my life.

    And yet, here we are.

    "Cord, I really want an explanation of why we're here." After a while of walking he paid attention to what I said and stopped in the middle of the pathway. He sat down on top of his tail and spoke to me.

    "Lucas, let's face it. You don't have that much experience with being a Pokémon. So, I made the decision to come over here for a little training session. And due to the circumstances here, we might have a chance of doing this again."

    As Cord stood up again, I went right in front of him to explain. "What circumstances?" I asked.

"Well, how do I put it into words..." Cord started moving again while he was talking. "Let's say two Pokémon arrived here that weren't either of us. The procedure for this dungeon is that it literally checks each Pokémon's stats. The Pokémon whoever has the highest level will actually decrease to the other Pokémon's lower level."

Cord let out a weird pant soon after, making me realize that his stamina is somehow equal or lower than mine. "What the... That's impossible!"

"I know. But that's Weird Woods for you."

With the conversation about the "weirdness of Weird Woods"—see what I did there—we both arrived in a grassy plain. "Don't tell me. This is—."

"The place I disappeared in the human world. Yeah." Cord moved toward the center of the field, trying to hide a smile for some reason. "This is going to sound weird, but I want you to fight me." ...Wait, wait, wait. You want me? To fight you? When I've never fought as a Pokémon my entire life?

My best friend could already see me act completely surprised a few moments after that statement sunk in. "I'm going to go easy on you, Lucas!" he yelled.

"I am so screwed." I slowly walked up toward Cord, and took a deep breath... Soon after, one of my arms swung toward Cord without having the courtesy of aiming. The weird attack completely failed as my best friend turned opponent dodged it ever so slightly and returned the punch hardly.

My body ended up flying very far to the ground. I looked at where he hit me and groaned. This is going to be fun.

"Lucas, you left yourself open in that one. Try again."

While I stood up again, I did a quick moment of thought here. Obviously, hand to hand combat by itself is not going to work. And as far as I know, I have Quick Attack and Iron Tail as moves since I'm a Pokémon. So...

I hit the ground running. A tailwind appeared again, and Quick Attack was officially used. I'm pretty sure Cord knew what I was doing, but there was no backing out now.

The thing with Quick Attack is in that speed, attacks can theoretically become more powerful since the motion is quicker. With that, I was able to throw fast punches and kicks to Cord without wasting large amounts of stamina. And yet, Cord still dodged every one of my attacks.

"I know you can do better than that, Lucas!"

Right then and there, something weird happened. I tried to punch Cord, but my fist suddenly opened. What came out of it was an electric ball that immediately exploded between the two of us.