Chapter 30

I want the wheels in my brain to work, I need to think of something so I can distract myself from the room where I'm staying, so I can forget the names of those so said patients that once were locked in here.

I give small blows on my forehead.

Think, I say to myself. React, do what you do best, overthink things so you can come to a conclusion.

My mind is blank. Everything made sense moments ago, the files, the scratches, the place, the rooms, all of it. They were all proofs that this is an asylum. From the state that the building is in, and the empty cells, it's obvious that no one comes here since a long time.

My mind was working perfectly, that was why I was able to put the puzzle pieces all together. However, now, time froze for me.

"What's wrong?" I hear Dylan saying from the hallway, Nathan left me for a few minutes to make sure that the others heard the whistle, leaving me alone in this room.

"We found something. You should check it out." Nathan's hoarse voice says. I soon hear two pair of footsteps entering the same door that I and Nathan entered only moments ago. A gasp follows after the steps and I know instantly that it's Sarah who's with Dylan.

"Oh my God." Her small voice trembles at the end, making me know how affected she is by the scenery that came upon us, or rather we came upon.

Stupid, imbecile, idiot, useless me. I've always heard that curiosity killed the cat, but me, being the stupid human being that ever walked on Earth needed to see what was inside this building.

Well, now I know, and I don't like it one bit.

"Shit. What the fuck is this place?" Dylan mutters and I hear him pacing around the room.

"It's an asylum." I finally speak, I turn to face them. Dylan is by the stretcher in the middle of the room while Sarah remains close to the door frame, actually supporting half of her body with it. Nathan is nowhere to be seen but I know that he is waiting for Ed, Lucy and Beth in the hall.

"Who do y--"He interrupts the question that I know he would make because I point to the objects that gave me all the reasons to believe that this place is in fact a mental hospital.

"The files. Inside, they have information about patients that I think that once were in here."

Dylan doesn't wait a second, he marches straight to the files and reads, his eyes shifting and analyzing every word, he squints and narrows them probably trying to read some part where there's dirt.

I turn my back to him and search the room that we are in. I haven't had a good look of it, I went immediately to the middle where the files, the lamp and the stretcher was. Not giving a second glance if something else was here... or someone.

Luckily for us there isn't any insane person watching us from the shadows that are hiding in the corner of the room, but I can't call it luck in here because since we had the idea to come and visit this woods, luck was the least of the things we had.

Drama, Fear, Panic, Fights. Yes, we had all of this and more, but luck?

Nope, not even a sign of it.

I see a shelf on the floor with broken glasses all around it, there are also liquid on the floor which I suspect is from whatever drugs they used to give to these people. I see another shelf not too far from the first one and it's standing, with medicines inside.

I hear noise in the background letting me know that Ed, Beth and Lucy are approaching us, but I remain focused on my task, I need to find something that can be useful to us, I didn't come here only to find this horrifying room and discover that this abandoned building is in fact an abandoned asylum. No, I came here to find something that will help us to survive out there in the woods.