Chapter 49

As I walk in the forest I pay attention to where my feet land, not because I may fall or anything like that but because there is nothing better to do. The snow beneath my feet is fluffy or so I think yet you can see branches that are coming into view under the blanket of white.

The sky is dark, and we all know that another storm is coming, we have such a luck that we even got lost in the woods at winter, like seriously, couldn't it have been during the summer or something?

I can hear Nathan's steady breathing by my side, he hasn't left my side since we discover what Ed and Dylan have been plotting against all of us.

By the corner of my eye I see him walking with his head up, his shoulders wide and his posture just perfect, if anyone knew that he had been betrayed by his best friends and now saw him acting this way they would say that he is way superior and already forgot the problem, but I know better.

I can see it in his eyes that look blurry and not here at all, I can see it in the frown plastered on his forehead, I can see the disgust from what they did to him expressed on the way he twitches his lip so often and last but not least, I can see and feel his anger, his hands clasping shut constantly tell me that.

I'm surprised above all by his reactions, although I can see how frustrated he is, he tries his best not to show it, and if I know better it's because he doesn't want me to worry about it. The fact that he is putting a wall around his emotions is unbelievable, but I still can't believe that he didn't beat the shit out of Ed and Dylan.

When I told him that he shouldn't beat them I never imagined that he would actually do as I said, just thinking ab--

"I think we found something." My thoughts are interrupt by Dylan's voice... talk about the devil. Nathan also comes out of his spell and reality brings him back to me. His frown deepened as soon as his ears processed who spoke.

Softly I touch his hand, so he knows that I'm there for him, he grabs my hand and intertwines his fingers with mine but never gazing at anyone else except Ed.

"What?" Beth eventually says with a still mute Lucy by her side.

Dylan points ahead and we see the trees becoming outnumbered and disappearing from our view, I frown, this only happened to us twice, the first time was when we first got into the woods at the track and the second time was on the glade where the asylum was.

What is it this time?

No one says a word, our faith isn't much anymore so we don't believe that this could be it and our journey around here it's finally over, we just want to know what is on the other side of the thin trees.

Step after step we reach the outline of the trees, and when we finally come out... we just look.

The vision before me isn't scary or frightening, no, it's imposing and above all, explains why we aren't out of the woods yet.

Ahead of me is the woods, every bit of it, we are in a sort of a cliff that raises above all the rest, above us it is only the sky, yet around us is nothing more and nothing less than the vast woods, an ocean of trees. The extend of the forest is so large that I can't see the end, now I understand why we aren't out yet, this isn't a small garden, this forest is a complete maze.

Although I now acknowledged why we are still stuck in here I can't prevent myself from being amazed by the view, my jaw is most likely on the ground and I need to take a deep breath to control my heart beat.

This is probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in my entire life.

I turn to look at Nathan and I can tell that he is just as speechless as I am, he raises one eyebrow up and says 'wow' and I couldn't agree more.