Chapter 48

"It's getting colder."

"What were you expecting? The day is coming to an end."

"That's not what I meant, the days are getting colder, as in plural."

"December is coming, and winter is knocking on the door... or is it January?" I join Beth and Dylan's chat. We are all sitting around the bonfire that doesn't give us enough warmth and that is how the conversation about cold started.

When we first got lost the bonfire was more of a friend companion, a source of hope and light when we needed and also a way to keep animals away from us, but with the passing days the wind got chillier and the trees got naked, the weather darkened and the winter received us with snow.

Out of the sudden we hear a noise, we all turn and try to find the source, but we soon come to realize that it is nothing to be afraid off, I lock my eyes with Lucy's body before shifting to Dylan that is laughing is ass out.

"It seems that winter isn't the only thing knocking ourselves off, hunger is also present. Hunger games, and may the odds be ever in your favor." He starts laughing even harder at the end of the phrase.

"Are you serious mate? You quoted that movie?" Ed inquires.

"What about it?" He starts to calm down and Ed simply ignores his question with a roll of eyes, I, instead remind my focus on Lucy. Her stomach is asking for food, Dylan sort of joked about it and she has at least three pair of eyes on her, but she keeps her eyes looking forward at the end of nowhere.

I have noticed how weird she has been acting since the incident when she fell onto that hole, Beth says that she is in panic, that she locked herself out in an attempt of forgetting everything and above all to stop her emotions to rule her.

I shared with Nathan Beth's opinion about Lucy and he couldn't agree more, what she saw shocked her and she is just trying to block those thoughts and images and by that blocking us also.

I have also been thinking about the talk I had with Nathan, the same night when I had the nightmare, four days ago. I can't believe that for a moment the idea of Steven actually being alive crossed my mind.

I went to his funeral for God's Sake, I saw his parents crying close to his grave. He wasn't the best guy out there, but he wasn't the worst, he had his problems. Just because he used to abuse me that doesn't mean that all of the sudden he will come to life, like it happens on books, or better he faked his death and now he is here, like on movies.

I shake my head at those thoughts, ridiculous it is all I have to say.

"We should probably sleep, tomorrow we've one more day off full walking." Ed doesn't need to tell me twice, without a second glance at anyone I rest the side of my body against Nathan, he immediately wraps his arm around my body and cover us better with the blanket. I feel Beth also lying against my side, making it look like a domino.

***

"We're in big trouble."

"We fucked ourselves up!"

I shift my body and rub my eyes at the sound of someone talking.

"You said that everything would be solved by now." I open my ears and notice that the voice is from Dylan, or so it seems.

"And I thought that it would, we wouldn't have done this if I knew that it would turn out this way." Ed is the one talking now.

"I can't believe that I agreed to do this."

I hear a ruffling sound and then Dylan and Ed appear in my line of vision, Dylan on the floor with Ed on top of him.

"Don't chicken out now. This is survival and we must do everything in our power to ensure that we survive." Ed hisses to Dylan, his face red with anger.