Chapter 7

Who are Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs? Remus stopped in his tracks, and looked at Maddy, who seemed to be assuming an innocent expression after asking the question on their returning walk from Dumbledore's office.

"What do you know about them?" He asked suspiciously. Maddy shrugged, Not much, that's why I'm asking you. Maddy replied as if it were obvious. "Well, how do you know those names?"

Maddy didn't answer, she cocked her head slightly to the side and looked up, confused as to why he seemed so upset by what she asked. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs are the Marauders. Professor McGonagall told me a story about them. Made me remember that I saw the same names inscribed in the compartment on the Hogwarts' Express, which then reminded me of the you told me that Moony was your nickname at school. So, if you're Moony, then who is Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs?

Remus grabbed Maddy's wrist as soon as she finished explaining, and made his way to their room in haste. Maddy never remembered her father moving so fast after the full moon as they zoomed through the halls of Hogwarts. Remus led her quickly through so many back hallways and secret passages, that Maddy had no clue existed.

When they returned to their room, Remus had Maddy sit on her bed, and sat right next to her. "You're clever, you know that right? You're able to connect dots that most adults aren't even able to. I'm proud of you for that." He leaned down and kissed her forehead, "You're right, of course. I am Moony. Wormtail, Padfoot..." He stuttered slightly, "And Prongs were my best friends in school."

Is it true that Wormtail and Prongs are dead because of Padfoot? She asked. Remus's eyes glistened with tears, and he only nodded. Maddy, noticing she hit a tough topic, apologized profusely.

Remus gestured the apology away. "It's alright, Madeline. It's only right for you to be curious about my school days. I guess I'll tell you. Prongs was James Potter, Harry's father. Wormtail was Peter Pettigrew. And Padfoot was Sirius Black."

Maddy's eyes widened to the size of saucers as gears began to rapidly turn in her brain. Quite a few things made more sense to her now. Why she'd be safer at Hogwarts. Why Sirius Black would want her. Not everything was crystal clear for her though. She was, indeed, still nine years old.

Oh. She gave her father a soft smile.

"Yes. Now how about we take a walk around the grounds?" She nodded, and they stood up. She knew this was the only information her father would give her. Now, she'd have to solve the rest for herself. Only question is how.

■□~□■

October flew by in a flash. Remus hadn't brought up his school days at all, and Maddy had no leads on her limited information.

On Hallowe'en, Maddy could tell he was putting on a fake happy act for the holiday. He had even allowed her to go and pick up the next lesson plan for the third years, a grindylow.

Remus took it to his office, the two lazily attempt to keep the new grindylow at bay. They had kept the door open, because almost all of the students were visiting Hogsmeade, the local village. Maddy was having an intense staring contest with it, when suddenly she heard her father say, "Harry?"

Maddy turned around quickly to see Harry doing a double take at the door. "What are you doing?" Her father asked, "Where are Ron and Hermione?"

"Hogsmeade," Harry said, in an attempt at a casual tone.

"Ah," said Remus. He seemed to consider Harry for a moment. "Why don't you come in? Maddy's here, and we've just taken delivery of a grindylow for our next lesson."