Epilogue

The morning of the twenty-eighth of July was a beautiful one. The beaten up cottage in the middle of nowhere was once again inhabited. Maddy sat at the kitchen counter, with ten lit candles on a chocolate cake.

"Make a wish, cub."

Maddy thought of all the things she could wish for. Finally, she settled on something and blew out the candles.

Dad? She asked as he cut the cake. Can I tell you what I wished for?

"Isn't that supposed to mean that it won't come true?"

That's superstition. Question before I start. Have I got a Godfather?

Remus looked surprised at the question, and shook his head slowly. "All my friends were gone when you were born. I didn't have an option."

Well, I wish that Sirius could be my godfather. He's your best friend, isn't he?

"Well yes ― yes he is. You only saw him for a few hours though."

I want to learn more about your friends! And he was really nice to me. So, that's my wish. She took a slice of cake and was about to eat it when she heard a slight bang against the window. She gave her father a curious look, and he went and opened it, allowing two owls to drop quite a large package, with an envelope on top. The smaller of the two birds flew energetically around the room, while the other one seemed half-dead to Maddy.

"It's addressed to you," Remus stated, walking over to hand Maddy the package. She ripped open the envelope first to reveal three letters. She read each one in great detail;

Dear Maddy,

Happy Birthday! As a thank you for the school year, Hermione, Ron, and I chipped in to get you this gift. Ron's owls are the ones that are going to bring you this, since I'm with my aunt and uncle, who are muggles. I sent this by muggle post to Hermione, who was able to get it to Ron.

Anyway, we really hope you enjoy it. You said you wanted to be a Beater, right? Well, this will help for certain.

See you next year!

Harry

Dearest Maddy Lupin,

I'm still awfully saddened at the prospect of not being able to see you next year. You definitely know how to lighten up glum moods. I'm planning on learning more about BSL before you start at Hogwarts in two Septembers.

Besides that, I really hope you enjoy the gift. I hope you get something nice to eat (that's vegetarian) and enjoy your birthday to the fullest.

Happy Birthday!

Hermione Granger

Dear Maddy,

I'll make this short, because I know you really want to open your present. Happy Birthday. I remember when I turned 10, Fred and George sent me an exploding gift (don't worry, your present won't explode). Being double digits is fun, and you're only one year away from Hogwarts! I can't wait for you to be a student, and I can teach you everything I know!

Have an amazing day,

Ron

Maddy handed Harry's letter to her father, and she took the package and carefully unwrapped it. Inside was a Beater bat, with Madeline Hope Lupin engraved in the handle. She looked at it in awe, twisting it in her hand to look at the intricate details. Her face broke into a face splitting grin as she showed the bat to her father.

"That was very nice of them," mused Remus.

I'll send a thank you! She smiled. Along with a birthday card for Harry. Should we send it back with Ron's owls?

"That's up to you, Maddy. If not, I'll take you to the owlery tomorrow."

That might be better. We should feed the owls.

"That's a good idea."

As they were feeding the owls, Maddy heard a scratch at the door. She turned to Remus who had a smug look on his face. "Go open the door, cub."

Maddy apprehensively made her way to the door, Remus following merrily behind her. She cracked the door open, and her already large smile enlarged.

PADFOOT! Maddy signed as the large Black dog bounded into the cottage. After the door was shut, and the cottage reinforced with protective charms, Sirius turned human, and enveloped Maddy in a hug.

"Happy Birthday, Moonlight."

Remus glanced at him, "Moonlight?"

Sirius let out a barking laugh, "Yeah. You're Moony, so Maddy's Moonlight. I've been thinking about it.. I went through Moonette, Moonster, Mini Moony, and a couple others, but I like Moonlight the most."

Maddy gave Sirius a grateful look, before leaning out of his embrace, and grabbing his hand, dragging him to see her presents, and offering him a slice of cake.

Less than a year ago, Maddy had pretty much only interacted with her father and grandfather. Now, she had three great older-sibling figures, and a man she saw as her godfather. So much can change in a year, but Maddy wouldn't trade it for the world.