Chapter 22

"Here, Maddy, stay still while I cut it off." It had been a month since Maddy's injury, and she finally got to take the cast off of her arm.

To be honest, she'd grown used to it, but signing wasn't the easiest with her arm wrapped up.

It was hard for Maddy to stay still, and her legs were swinging of their own accord as Madam Pomfrey took off the cast. As soon as it was off, she jumped up from the bed she had been sitting on, and starting signing, FREEDOM! FREEDOM! while spinning in circles. Remus and Madam Pomfrey chuckled slightly at the young girl's antics.

"That's everything, Ms. Lupin," said Madam Pomfrey in a professional tone. "You're free to go."

Remus stood up from his chair to follow Maddy, who was skipping out of the Hospital Wing in glee. He called her name, causing her to jump to a stop, and turn around. He walked up to where she was standing and gave her a small smile, "Happy to have the cast off?"

Of course, signed Maddy. She didn't nod like usual to show how grateful she was for full use of her hands. Can I go flying now?

Remus suppressed a small chuckle, "Harry's probably studying for his exams," he told her.

Exactly! He needs to clear his mind sometimes. It's Saturday! And his exams don't begin for two weeks. She gave him a sweet smile, It's about lunch time, I'm going to look for him in the Great Hall.

■□~□■

Despite not flying for a month, Maddy was still able to summon her broom for the first time and take to the sky.

Harry was hovering next to her, and Ron, who had borrowed George's broom, was a few feet to her left. Hermione was sitting by the corner of the pitch, some textbook open, and Remus was reading a novel that he had gotten.

Maddy and Harry had devised a communication technique so Maddy wouldn't have to attempt and sign while flying. A nod meant she understood the instruction, a shake meant she didn't, two nods meant she wanted Harry to repeat if, and two shakes meant that she had a question, and they would land so she could ask it.

Both boys had become very good at sign language, which surprised them both as neither really studied it with everything going on. Now, they could hold a full conversation with Maddy, and on the rare occasion that they didn't know a word, Maddy would spell it out.

"Today, since you've been doing so well with laps and the general aspect, we're going to fly without holding on."

Maddy nodded her understanding. "I know that you want to be a Beater, so you have to be very good at this. Watch."

Harry demonstrated, and Maddy copied, and soon he was doing well enough that Ron grabbed a Quaffle and the three were tossing it around. They turned it into a game where if you dropped it, you received a letter in the word "Broom" and the first person to get all five letters lost. Ron was the best with making outrageous saves, with he attributed to playing keeper with his brothers at home. Maddy found dealing with the Quaffle to be awkward, and while she wasn't bad, she wasn't the best at it either.

Still, it was the closest she's ever been to playing the sport, and that was enough for her. She landed with a face splitting grin on her face, and the Quaffle tucked under her arm. She chucked it in Ron's direction, who caught it with ease and gave her a thumbs up. Maddy returned the gesture, and ran to Harry who was landing, and started signing her thanks.

"It's really not a problem," insisted Harry. "I do have a question for you, though. When's your birthday?"

Maddy frowned at the question. 28 of July. She told him.