Chapter 28

"HE DIDN'T DISAPPARATE! YOU CAN'T APPARATE OR DISAPPARATE INSIDE THIS CASTLE! THIS ― HAS ― SOMETHING ― TO ― DO ― WITH ― POTTER!"

Maddy jumped so violently at the sudden shouting, waking her from her dreamless sleep, that she fell out of her bed. She sat up, disoriented, and rubbing her eyes, trying to figure out what was going on. She noticed Harry, Hermione, and Ron still in their beds. They too, minus Ron, who was somehow still asleep, were feverishly looking around the room.

"Severus ― be reasonable ― Harry has been locked up ―"

Maddy stood up, using the bed as support, when the door flung open, revealing the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, Dumbledore, and Snape, who was fuming.

He stormed over to Harry, bellowing out every word he spoke. "OUT WITH IT, POTTER! WHAT DID YOU DO?"

If Maddy was confused before, she was completely bewildered now. Madam Pomfrey was shrieking at him to calm down, and the Minister was attempting to reason with him. Dumbledore seemed to be almost enjoying himself.

"THEY HELPED HIM ESCAPE! I KNOW IT!" Snape was pointing accusingly at Harry and Hermione.

"Calm down, man," barked Fudge, "You're talking nonsense!"

"YOU DON'T KNOW POTTER!" Snape shrieked, looking around like a mad man, "HE DID IT, I KNOW HE DID IT ―"

What is happening? Maddy asked, sitting on the edge of her bed criss-cross.

"That will do, Severus," whispered Dumbledore, not noticing Maddy's question. "Think about what you are saying. This door has been locked since I left the ward ten minutes ago. Madam Pomfret, have the students left their beds?"

"Of course not!" insisted Madam Pomfrey. "I would have heard them!"

"Well, there you have it, Severus," said Dumbledore calmly, "Unless you are suggesting that Harry and Hermione are able to be in two places at once, I'm afraid I don't see any point in troubling them further."

Snape stod, seething with rage. He turned so quickly that his robes swished behind him, and he stormed out of the ward, not too different than when Maddy stormed out on him.

"Fellow seems quite unbalanced," Fudge stated, staring at Snape's wake, "I'd watch out for him if I were you, Dumbledore."

Maddy snorted, attempting to hold in her laughter. Dumbledore sent her a glance, and she composed herself.

"Oh, he's not unbalanced," replied Dumbledore. "He's just suffered a severe disappointment."

"He's not the only one!" Fudge puffed. "The Daily Prophet's going to have a field day! We had Black cornered and he slipped through our fingers yet again! All it needs now is for the story of that hippogriff's escape to get out, and I'll be a laughingstock! Well... I'd better go and notify the Ministry...."

Maddy's eyes widened. Hippogriff?" Harry noticed and gestured for her to wait a little. She gave him a small nod to show she comprehended.

"And the dementors?" asked Dumbledore, "They'll be removed from the school, I trust?"

"Oh yes, they'll have to go," said Fudge distractedly, "Never dreamed they'd administer the Kiss on an innocent boy.... Completely out of control.... No, I'll have them packed off back to Azkaban tonight.... Perhaps we should think about dragons at the school entrance."

What did I sleep through? Maddy was so befuddled, nothing anyone said had any significance in her brain.

"Hagrid would like that," said Dumbledore, smiling at Harry and Hermione, causing Maddy to wonder what inside joke that was. Fudge and Dumbledore promptly left the Hospital Wing, and Madam Pomfrey locked the door behind them, muttering to herself as she departed towards her office.