Chapter 26

"NO!" Peter fell pleadingly onto his knees. He held his hands together, as if he was praying, and looked up at Sirius.

"Sirius ― it's me... it's Peter... your friend... you wouldn't..."

Sirius kicked him, somehow managing to still keep a hold of Maddy. "There's enough filth on my robes without you touching them," He hissed.

He looked at Maddy, who still had her head resting on Sirius's shoulder. "You trust a mass murderer with your life? Yet ― yet you know what he wants to do to me?" Maddy lifted her head and bared her teeth at him, and gestured a sign that if in any different situation, she would have been in trouble for saying. Peter backed up hesitantly from the little girl, and instead turned to Remus.

"Remus," the man squeaked, "You don't believe this... Wouldn't Sirius have told you they'd change the plan.

"Not if he thought I was the spy, Peter," Remus spoke with such a casual elegance, "I assume that's why you didn't tell me?"

"Forgive me, Remus."

"Not at all, Padfoot, old friend," replied Remus, rolling up his sleeves, "And will you, in turn, forgive me for believing you were the spy?"

"Of course," said Sirius. He tapped Maddy gently on the back, causing her to lift her head. He put her down, and he too started to roll his sleeves. "Shall we kill him together?"

"Yes, I think so. Maddy, would you mind backing up a little?"

Maddy's eyes widened, but she did as she was told, making her way towards Hermione. She had a fleeting thought that, perhaps, Snape was right. Maybe she would be forced to spend the rest of her days in a crumby, old orphanage. She quickly scolded herself for even thinking about it. That wouldn't happen.

"You wouldn't... you won't..." gasped Peter as he scrambled over towards Ron. "Ron... haven't I been a good friend... a good pet? You won't let them kill me, Ron, will you... you're on my side, aren't you?"

Ron just gave him a look of pure revulsion. "I let you sleep in my bed!" He exclaimed, disgusted.

"Kind boy... kind master..." Peter continued his crawl towards Ron, "You wouldn't let them do it... I was your rat.... I was a good pet...."

"If you made a better rat than a human, it's not much to boast about Peter," said Sirius harshly. Peter ignored him, deciding to turn to Hermione, and seize the helm of her robe.

" Sweet girl... clever girl... you ― you wouldn't let them... Help me...."

Hermione backed up, horrified, and Peter looked at Maddy. Before he could, however, Maddy kicked him, and he went staggering backwards. He turned towards Harry, the final conscious person in the room.

"Harry... Harry... you look just like your father... just like him..."

"HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO HARRY!" bellowed Sirius. "HOW DARE YOU FACE HIM? HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT JAMES IN FRONT OF HIM?"

Peter continued his shuffle, whispering softly, "Harry ― Harry, James wouldn't have wanted me killed.... James would have understood, Harry... he would have shown me mercy."

Remus and Sirius both strode forward, seized his shoulders, and threw him on the floor. He was twitching with fear.

"You sold James and Lily to Voldemort," declared Sirius. Still, he was shaking slightly with every word. "Do you deny it."

Peter bursted into tears, which was a horrific sight for Maddy. He looked like an overgrown baby, but Maddy showed no signs of sympathy for the man.