Chapter 17

"I'm not sure how well this will work, because you can't talk, but let's try it anyway," said Harry, clearly trying to find the best way to approach the current situation. "Can I borrow your Nimbus?"

Maddy nodded consent, and handed her Nimbus 2000 to Harry, who placed it gingerly on the floor to his right. "Alright, so the first step is to call your broom. The command is 'Up' so I suggest you think about that word, and I reckon it'll work." He held out his hand, and without talking the broom flew up into his grasp. "Not a lot of people got it during my first lesson, so I'm only going to spend ten minutes on it. If you get it, you get it, if you don't, you don't. Understand?"

I got it.

Harry put the broom on her right, "Stretch out your hand, and think: Up!"

Maddy did just that, but nothing happened. She scrunched her eyes shut, and stuck out her tongue in concentration. This time, the broom rolled over on it's side.

"That's the general idea!" praised Harry, "I honestly wasn't sure whether it would move or not." He admitted quietly.

Maddy opened her eyes, and looked at the broom, which had moved slightly with a smile, and gave Harry a thumbs up.

She didn't close her eyes this time, instead scrunching just her nose, and her tongue stuck out again. The broom rolled over yet again, but made no move to fly into her hand.

After five minutes, however, the broom flew into her grasp, and Maddy looked up at Harry, with a smile plastered on her face.

"Good job! Good job!" Harry praised. He looked up, and cupped his hands toward the sky, "Ron! I need the Firebolt!"

Ron landed smoothly next to them, and jumped off, handing Harry the broom, "That is amazing." Ron said in awe.

Harry chuckled, "Now watch." He demonstrated the proper way to sit on the broom, calling instructions every so often. Maddy copied his every move.

"You have to make your movements slight, the broom will conform to your every need," Harry said once they had gotten about two feet off of the ground. He leaned his broom forward slightly, and shot off, before looping around. "To stop, pull upwards, slightly as well, kind of like pulling on a horse's reins."

Maddy leaned forward barely and she went off. She noticed Harry flying next to her, calling, "Turn left!" She did just that, and the broom listened to her every command. She felt a sense of freedom about flying that she never felt before. It was as if she was in control, and no one could take that away from her.

"Stop!" Harry ordered, and Maddy stopped so abruptly she almost bucked herself off. Harry slid to a slow stop next to her, and gave her a small grin, "Liking flying so far?" But he didn't even have to ask, her large grin spoke for itself.

"Now there are two ways to get off the broom. The first is you land normally, like so." He landed, and held his broom in his right hand, "The second is how Ron did it, you jump off at the last minute. You're going to try to land how I did, okay?"

Maddy nodded, but she wasn't sure if Harry could see her, she did exactly what Harry did, and landed pretty smoothly for her first time.

Ron walked up to her, and gave her a small grin, "That was pretty good for your first time," he said.

Harry nodded assent, "At this rate, you'll be on the team in no time." He held his hand for a high-five, which she complied.

Remus walked towards them, and Maddy ran towards him excitedly, while Harry and Ron laughed behind her.

"She was really great, Professor," Ron told him.

"She has the ability to make the team for sure," Harry added.