Chapter 14

"Professor Lupin, Maddy?" said Harry. Christmas break had ended, and classes had resumed. The third year class had just finished, and Harry made his way to the front.

Maddy waved kindly, and Remus asked, "Is there something you need?"

"Er... You promised that you would teach me how to fend off dementors, and I was wondering..."

"Ah yes," remembered Remus, "Let me see...how about eight o'clock on Thursday evening? The History of Magic classroom should be large enough.... I'll have to think carefully about how we are going to do this.... We can't bring a real dementor into the castle to practice on...."

Harry was about to leave, when Maddy made a small gesture with her hand that caught his attention, "Don't worry, Maddy, I haven't forgotten my promise to you. I just haven't got a broom at the moment. I'm not sure if you know..."

I know, Maddy told him. Harry nodded, being around Maddy since September, he learned a lot of simple phrases, that being one of them.

"So, when I get it back, I'll take you flying, so I can adjust myself."

Maddy nodded, Harry made his way to Ron waiting at the door.

Remus looked at their retreating figure, "Maddy, I'm going to organise some papers. If you want, you can go get dinner."

"I got it, Dad."

"Stay safe, alright? I'll be there soon."

Maddy nodded, See you soon. Maddy walked out the door and made her way to their room when she heard voices.

"Still looks ill, doesn't he?" A voice she recognised to be Ron stated, "What d'you reckon's the matter with him?"

Maddy inhaled deeply, and she heard a loud and impatient "tuh" from behind. She looked towards the sound and saw Hermione, who sat at the feet of a suit of armor, repacking her bag, which was so full of books it wouldn't close.

"And what are you tutting us for?" Ron asked, clearly irritated.

Maddy still couldn't figure out why the three weren't talking, but knew something was wrong when Hermione sat across the classroom from Harry and Ron. So far, none of the three saw her.

"Nothing," Hermione sounded lofty, and heaved her bag over her shoulder.

"Yes, you were," Ron insisted, "I said I wonder what's wrong with Lupin, and you-"

"Well, isn't it obvious?" Hermione cut him off, a look of superiority donning her features.

Maddy's hands flew to her mouth in fright, and looked at Hermione terrified of what would happen if someone found out.

"If you don't want to tell us, don't," Ron snapped at her.

"Fine," Hermione said arrogantly, and marched off in the opposite direction.

"She doesn't know," Ron told Harry, staring after Hermione. "She's just trying to get us to talk to her again."

Harry and Ron hurried off as well, and Maddy stayed put to collect her thoughts. She didn't believe Ron, one bit. Hermione knew, and she was terrified.

■□~□■

Maddy was uncharacteristically silent the whole next morning. By that, she wasn't making any effort to attempt to communicate. For someone who couldn't speak, Maddy was usually very outspoken. She always let others know exactly what was on her mind, whether it was through signs or writing.

Remus couldn't figure out why she had the sudden need for isolation. Not once did she raise her hand in the first year's class, or beg him to take her outside to try her new broom, which she hadn't used yet because she had to wait for someone to teach her. And while Remus could fly, he was nowhere near adept enough to teach someone. She had even passed Snape in the hallway, and didn't even send a rude sign in his direction, which was almost unheard of.