Chapter 16

As January faded into February, nothing really major happened at the school. Maddy had watched the Ravenclaw versus Slytherin quidditch game, and was just as engrossed in it as she had the other game, and she decided to try and keep a scorecard, which she had overheard Dean Thomas saying that he did at a muggle football game during a third year Defence Against the Dark Arts class.

Watching the game reminded her almost painfully that she hadn't flown her broom yet. Harry hadn't gotten his broom back, and Maddy was starting to think that once the weather cleared up, she'd have to ask Madam Hooch for private lessons.

At that moment, it was a measly few days before Gryffindor's next match, and Maddy could tell that during Harry's private dementor-fighting lesson, he was on edge.

Harry's sign-language was improving immensely, which goes to show that the easiest way to learn a new language is to be exposed to it at constant rates. Now, he only needed two or three words translated every sentence. That seemed to be the only thing improving in the lesson, his patronus was making some progress, but didn't seem to reach Harry's unrealistic standards.

"You're expecting too much of yourself," said Remus. It was their fourth week of practicing, and Harry looked angry with himself. "For a thirteen-year-old wizard, even an indistinct Patronus is a huge achievement. You aren't passing out anymore, are you?"

Harry looked dispirited, and glanced at Maddy, who was sitting criss-cross on Professor Binns desk, "I thought a Patronus would — charge the dementor down or something. Make them disappear —"

A strong one does, yes. Maddy told him.

Harry looked, if possible, even more dispirited by this.

"Still, Harry," reiterated Remus. "You've achieved a great deal in a very short space of time. If the dementors put in an appearance at your next Quidditch match, you will be able to keep them at bay long enough to get back to the ground.

"You said it's harder if there are loads of them," said Harry.

I have confidence in you. Maddy told him with a smile.

Harry nodded, unsure of what confidence meant, as he had never seen the word before.

"I have complete confidence in you as well," Remus told him. Harry gave a small smile, realising what Maddy had said. "Here — you've earned a drink — something from the Three Broomsticks. Maddy hasn't had it before, and you wouldn't have tried it either—"

He pulled three bottles from his briefcase. Maddy narrowed her eyes, not sure of what the drink was.

"Butterbeer!" called Harry. "Yeah, I like that stuff!"

Remus raised an eyebrow.

"Oh — Ron and Hermione brought me some back from Hogsmeade," Harry said rather quickly.

"I see," said Remus, but he looked slightly suspicious. Maddy knew along what lines her father was thinking. From the stories she had heard from her father and Minnie, Harry's father wasn't the most role modelesque student, even if he was Head Boy, something that seemed to baffle faculty and students alike even over a decade and a half later. Harry could have, indeed, gotten this drink the way he said, or more probably, he did something against the rules to obtain it. Maddy didn't think "Potter" and "rule-abiding" belonged in the same sentence, unless it was split by a "not". Then again, neither did "Lupin" and "rule-abiding" and Maddy noted with a chuckle that that statement would be fairly accurate.

"Well — let's drink to a Gryffindor victory against Ravenclaw. Not that I'm supposed to take sides, as a teacher." He added hastily.

He handed Maddy and Harry a bottle each, and opened them with his wand. Maddy apprehensively took a sip, before a smile formed slightly at her lips. She drank some of the delicatably drink quickly, before putting it down, and licking the remains which had been left around her mouth. They had drank in silence, until Harry voiced a thought.