Chapter 20

When Easter vacation arrived, Maddy could tell everyone was on edge, especially the fifth and seventh years, and oddly enough, Hermione Granger.

Maddy heard some rumours involving the fourteen-year-old girl that ranged from storming out of Divination class, to slapping Draco Malfoy. She hoped the second one was true, as she thought it would be a realistic blow to the boy's ego.

Everything was normal for Maddy until two days before Easter, when she woke up with a throbbing headache. She stood up and opened her eyes to get Remus, when her reality started to spin. The only thing she could see was this glowing, colour changing "C" against darkness. As if something was moving underneath her, she tripped and heard a crack, and felt searing pain fill her right arm. She felt like screaming, but was incapable of making such a long stream of noise. She felt hot tears streaming down her face, as the world suddenly became normal again.

When she opened her eyes for the second time, she could see her father sitting next to her, a look of terror etched in his face.

Despite still crying from the pain, Maddy felt better knowing she could see again. She cradled her right arm, and wished for the pain to subside, but it hadn't.

"Maddy? Madeline?" Remus called softly. Maddy wiped her tears with her left hand. "I'm going to take you to Madam Pomfrey, alright?" Maddy nodded. "Can you walk?"

Maddy stood up, and took a deep breath, which was difficult considering how much she was crying. Luckily, that strange hallucination had passed, and the throbbing headache was gone almost as fast as it came.

"Even if you can, I'm going to carry you. Alright?" he didn't wait for her to nod before picking her up and resting her on his hip. "I think your arm's broken." Remus observed. "Anyway, let's get you to the hospital wing."

Luckily, their sleeping quarters were right next to Remus's office, which in turn was right next to the staircase to the first floor, where the Hospital Wing was located.

As Remus walked through the doors, he felt a feeling of recollection as he remembered his first visit when he wasn't much older than Maddy. "Madam Pomfrey?" He called, hoping she could hear him.

"Remus?" said Madam Pomfrey as she came around the corner. He saw Maddy's tear stained face, and her clutching her arm, and went into work mode. "Bring her here, Remus."

He put Maddy down on the bed Madam Pomfrey had indicated, the same one he always uses, as Madam Pomfrey began to ask him questions. "Do you know what happened?"

"Not entirely. Maddy stood up this morning before collapsing on her arm. I couldn't ask what happened because I don't think she can sign with her arm."

"The forearm is definitely broken," declared Madam Pomfrey, "And a bad break as well. I can heal it fast, I'm going to put it in a muggle cast for about a month, just to make sure it heals properly. She'll need to use a sling as well. If she isn't as dramatic as Draco Malfoy, then this arrangement should be fine."

Maddy wiped the tears again with her left hand, as Madam Pomfrey rushed to put spells and make her drink potions that tasted revolted. Remus sat quietly in a chair next to her bed, watching intently as Madam Pomfrey worked.

It only took about an hour for her to finish. Before she knew it, Maddy had a stark white cast on her right hand up to her elbow, and she had a sling tied around her neck holding her arm in place.

Remus eyed the sling and cast, "How is she supposed to communicate, Madam Pomfrey?"

"Is she right-handed?" asked Madam Pomfrey.

"Ambidextrous,"

"She should write what she wants down then," suggested Madam Pomfrey, "Make sure to keep parchment with you, and here..." she handed Remus two muggle pens, "This should make it easier."