Chapter 13

Merry Christmas, Dad! Maddy signed as soon as she entered the hospital wing, and put her gift for her father on the end table next to his bed. McGonagall had gone with the other professors to set up for lunch, and Maddy would meet them down in the great hall at noon.

Remus was awake, but he wasn't in the greatest health conditions. He seemed barely able to move from pain. Maddy winced slightly at the sight of him. "Merry Christmas, Maddy. How was your day so far?"

I got a Nimbus 2000 from Minnie! She told him excitedly.

Remus gave her a weak smile, "You did? Well, I guess I'll have to take you to the Quidditch pitch more often now."

Maddy nodded, and looked around, her eye catching the small package. Oh, I almost forgot to give you your gift. I hope you like it. She placed the package on his lap, and moved the chair right next to the bed, and sat with a smile. Keany helped me make it last night. She told him.

Noticing how weak he was, Maddy knelt on the chair and unwrapped it for him. Inside was a batch of chocolate crinkle cookies, and a chocolate. Maddy put it on the end table, and handed Remus a cookie. Do you like it?

"It's delicious, cub. Thank you so much, for everything."

What's everything?

Remus gave her a warm smile, "Not many children would accept me as their father. You've been absolutely amazing the last nine years. I can't thank you enough."

Daddy, began Maddy, unsure of how to word what she wanted to say. I'm sure any person once they look past your scary exterior would see on the inside you are a kind, loving man. I'm sure I've said it countless times, but I could not ask for a better father. She leaned forward and kissed him on his temple. I love you so much.

Remus extended his arms, and gave Maddy a small hug, "And I love you so much, Madeline. More than words could ever express." Remus looked at the clock, "It's noon now, Maddy, how about you go and eat."

Maddy nodded and stood up. I'll be back as soon as I can.

■□~□■

"Hello, little girl," a woman said in a mystic voice.

Maddy looked up to see who the speaker was. She assumed the woman was a teacher, but Maddy had no clue which teacher it was. She was very thin, almost topping Maddy in scrawniness. She wore large glasses that gave Maddy the thought of a dragonfly, large and magnified. She wore a green sequin dress with so much jewelry that Maddy was sure put together would weigh more than her.

Maddy waved kindly back at her, and trudged forward. "Wait, girl, are you going to the Great Hall?"

Maddy glared at her, and just kept her head down as she continued forward.

"I'm Professor Trelawney, Divination teacher." Somehow, Trelawney was standing next to her, he hand extended. Maddy shook it quickly, but made no indication to tell Professor Trelawney who she was.

"I know who you are?" Maddy looked at her and cocked her head, as if to tell Trelawney to prove it to her.

"You're the Professor Lupin's daughter, aren't you?" Maddy gave a small nod, before breaking into a run, "Of course you are." Trelawney told her, before Maddy threw the door to the Great Hall open. Everyone looked at them, by everyone there was only Harry, Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape, Sprout, Flitwick, Filch, two first years named Derek and Elaine, and a fifth year boy she knew was in Slytherin, but his name was escaping her at the moment.

"Nice for you to join us, Madeline," Dumbledore said, before seeing Trelawney. He stood up, "Sybill, this is a pleasant surprise!"

"I have been crystal gazing, Headmaster," Professor Trelawney told them, "and to my astonishment, I saw myself abandoning my solitary luncheon and coming to join you. Who am I to refuse the promptings of fate? I at once hastened from my tower, and I do beg you to forgive my lateness."