Chapter 19: Nationals

I am finally updating! I finally reach 1.8k views. I am so happy for myself but I think my friend is gonna reach 2k first.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is the first day of the Nationals. Fortunately, we have a bye for the first round which means that we get to observe our opponents. (In sports, a bye refers to a period when a team or player would normally compete but for one reason or another does not have to in this case)

Yukimura came out of the rehabilitation centre yesterday and is now well and healthy. Everyone was elated that Yukimura can come back to the team with any major hindrance.

Seigaku and Shitenhoji also have a bye for the first round of nationals. Shitenhoji is one of the strongest teams in the Kansai region. Though the team lost to Rikkai in previous year's semi-finals, the members put up the strongest fight against Rikkai with more willpower than any other team's.

Since it wasn't my job to obtain information about our opponents, I decided to wander around the stadium. My always curious brain tells me to find something interesting to do, so I walked through the boulevard.

I got a glimpse of Ryoma when I was mindlessly walking around, he was with his teammates from Seigaku.

Since I was wearing my school sports uniform, every time I walk around crowds of people. They would gossip behind my back thinking that I didn't know what they were talking about, but they were damn wrong. I have very sensitive ears which allow me to hear what they were talking about.

"How did Rikkaidai let a girl play for their team? Are they planning to lose this year?" one of the people in the crowd said to his friend beside him. I was furious that he was belittling me just because I was a female.

I decided to walk up to him and challenge him to a tennis match, which he stupidly agreed to. He should know that the result is, he will definitely lose.

We walked to one of the spare tennis courts beside the stadium, a crowd of audiences decided to follow us and watch the good show that will be happening.

I chose to make life easier for me and not to go through all the boring things at the beginning of the match and told him that he can start first. Well, the match didn't end well for the other guy. I ended the match in 5 minutes but it will be faster if not the opponent was so slow.

I received applause and cheers from the audiences, while my opponent was facing the ground feeling ashamed that he lost to a girl. I realized that Yukimura and the others were watching me from the sidelines.

Somehow more people were watching me than I expected, as people from Monkey King's, Fudomine, Seigaku, and Shitenhoji's place. Me being an introvert quickly got embarrassed and scuttled to my bag.

While I was packing my bag, Yukimura and the other guys walked towards me. Sanada was going to scold me for playing a private match but Yukimura interrupted him by saying that in the end, I still won anyway.

We got an early leave from Yukimura and I went home earlier than normal. Ryoma wasn't at home since he was still with Seigaku. I decided to find the old man for some practice, and it was a really bad idea.

Ryoma's father was a pro tennis player before he had Ryoma, he was considered one of the top players in the world at that time until he suddenly disappeared from the tennis world. No one knew why or the reason he left, I tried to ask him once but failed miserably.

The match was the old man didn't go well for me, he enjoys provoking me by undermining my tennis techniques and style. I was belittling me by closing one eye and pivoting on only one foot. I told him to play with me seriously even though I was losing badly even though I was given an advantage.

The match intervened when Ryoma stepped into the yard and started laughing at how ridiculous his dad looked while playing me. I was suddenly embarrassed and ran into my room, I think I have given up my pride.