9

What did manservants or maids mean to him?

Yangfeng knew his kindness and was both touched and grateful.

Pingting watched the two and suddenly thought of Chu Beijie. The corners of her heart stung, but she refused to let it overwhelm her. She feared Yangfeng would see its traces, so she turned away from them, wiping the corners of her watery eyes on the pillow.

Ze Yin did as he said. That night, he summoned all of the maids and manservants into the hall, saying, "I have already promised Yangfeng to live in seclusion, this time never coming out again. Since we will be living in a very rural area, we will not need so many manservants. You are all young determined to serve this country hence you can all go back to the capital. I will write you a testimonial letter so the Main General Ruohan can organise you to go elsewhere. As for maids, all those who have homes can go home. Those who don't have one are free to leave as well and find another home. All of the furniture, furnishings in this room are mostly earned through rewards from my military achievements. All of them are treasures of the Royal Residence. Divide them all amongst yourselves, whether you use the money you gain to invest, or dowry or pension, anything is fine."

When his words came out, everyone cried out.

Ze Yin's expression did not change as he lowered his voice, "You all know my temper. Even three army troops must immediately listen to just a simple scolding, not to mention you all. Don't drag this on. No feast can forever continue under the skies. To scatter, happily and freely, is the true nature of my Bei Mo's sons and daughters. Also, there is an extra person here who you have all more or less guessed her identity. The world under the skies believes that she is dead. Not a word about the fact that she is still alive is to be spread outside. You all have accompanied me for many years, so I believe in you. However, I still would like you to swear here that you will never tell anyone."

When he finished, everyone understood that Ze Yin had already decided.

The servants accompanied Ze Yin's extensive travels and each were hot-blooded men. They had indeed hoped that Ze Yin would one day return to the capital to help with national affairs like last time. Hearing Ze Yin's words, they immediately swore they would never speak one word about Bai Pingting's survival.

The maids served the Main General Residence since young. Each were loyal to Ze Yin, and although they did not understand military or national affairs, they knew Bai Pingting was the Main General's wife's good friend and also left their promise.

Ze Yin worked orderly. He immediately called for brush and ink, swiftly writing the testimonial letters for the manservants. He then handed out the various treasures to each of the maids, so that they would not have to worry about the hunger and cold in the future. He was busy until late at night, until finally everything had been arranged, yet a difficult problem surfaced.

Guard Weiting was the only one who refused to leave. His eyes were bloodshot as he said, "I've been with Main General for so long, where else is there for me to go? Main General knows I have a foul temper, and if other generals order me around, I won't listen. Main General at least needs someone to help carry water or herd cattle, even in the mountains right? If you refuse to take me along, then I shall die here today." He pulled out his sword and placed it on his neck.

His main problem was that he couldn't read expressions, resulting in conflict between a great number of generals, including Ruohan. However, when he fought, he was not afraid of death, and his power was commendable. Because of this, Ze Yin valued him and had always kept him by his side.

Ze Yin knew his temper and perhaps if he did shake his head, perhaps he would really slice his neck. He suddenly remembered Weiting offended many important generals of Bei Mo. Even if he were recommended back, he would be bullied or worse. He could only nod, "Oh well, you can stay then."