29

The tails of dreams were hard to catch; Chu Beijie was unable to sleep.

But Changxiao was buried in his arms, long fallen asleep obediently. His soft little body but rather heavy breathed evenly as he stuck his hot little face against Chu Beijie's shoulder.

"Can I really put him down?" Chu Beijie had maintained the same position for a long time. He lowered his voice as much as he could, worrying as he asked.

"Yes."

"Wouldn't it wake him up?"

"No. He's already deep in sleep."

Chu Beijie studied the son in his arms and frowned, "I reckon he'll wake up."

Pingting was both amused and angry. She walked over and skilfully took their son from his arms, wrapping him in a blanket. Chu Beijie took just one step towards the blanket. He lowered his head, studying every detail carefully, his eyes flashing in the candlelight, never leaving his son.

"Be lighter." Chu Beijie nervously watched, "Be careful not to wake him or he'll cry."

Pingting laughed for a long time. She straightened up and looked at Chu Beijie, unable to straighten her mouth, breaking into a soft chuckle. "They all say fathers are strict while mothers are gentle, but it's the opposite."

Chu Beijie knew he was being too nervous. He grabbed her slender body, pulling her closer to him. He clenched his teeth, "Who's the one hurting the other now?" He didn't wait for an explanation before nibbling lightly on Pingting's delicate earlobe.

"Ow..." Pingting gently yelped, her ear stinging a little, bringing with it a warm and damp feeling.

It seemed that after Chu Beijie nibbled, his tongue immediately followed. Pingting instantly flushed bright red and reached out a hand to push his chest. She shyly said, "What is Duke doing?"

"I am thinking how I can fight without soldiers." Chu Beijie chuckled softly, spraying hot air into Pingting's ear. "Does Duchess give up?"

"Using teeth to bite people isn't elegant..."

There was no way his metal-like broad shoulders could be so easily pushed away by Pingting. After having enough of dawdling, he grabbed onto Pingting, quietly heading outside. The two people went outside the tent where the bright stars in the sky suddenly appeared before their eyes.

Chu Beijie sighed, "This kind of atmosphere needs qin sound to go with it." He turned and looked at Pingting.

Pingting said, "Where can you find a qin in such wilderness?"

Chu Beijie laughed without a reply. His deep eyes watched her, her blush spreading ear to ear. Under his gaze perhaps no one could remain calm under, Pingting began to smile instead. She shifted her position in Chu Beijie's grasp, leading him past the quiet barracks and finding a quiet forest to sit down.

"Since there's no qin, why don't Duke allow Pingting to sing a song?"

"What song?" asked Chu Beijie.

Pingting revealed a grin, "A song of rebellion to apologise to Duke?"

"Oh?" Chu Beijie quietly thought for a moment. He softened his voice, "Why does Pingting need to apologise to me?"

For some reason, Pingting was actually startled by this question. She lowered her thick eyelashes, thinking for a long time. She slowly replied, "Probably because of Pingting's guilt due to her stubbornness that caused so many hardships to Duke."

Her head was lowered and Chu Beijie felt a wave of pity. He held her in his arms, murmuring, "As long as you and Changxiao are both by my side, countless hardships will be nothing to me."