32

In Gui Le City, everyone in the Royal Residence was forbidden from making sound. Even footsteps were muffled.

The Marquess of Jing-An who could decide death in a single word was furious today.

Fei Zhaoxing hurriedly walked inside. Seeing He Xia's warmthless expression, he showed a sign of submission. He cautiously stood at one side, waiting for He Xia's questioning.

"You're here." He Xia looked at him, not asking about what he'd been up to recently. He pointed at his table stacked high with documents. "Look at this, even though I've repeatedly clarified that these inauspicious incidents are merely someone messing around in the shadows and all that's needed is to send troops to deal with the lurkers, these ignorant fools actually still try to hand reports to me, requesting me to not rush on establishing the new country, saying that it's God's wrath. What wrath, unless they mean the skies aren't willing for me to take the throne?"

Fei Zhaoxing knew his anger wasn't light. He quickly agreed, "Marquess of Jing-An is correct. These ignorant people don't even understand what's important to a country, so don't be too angry at them, Marquess of Jing-An. As for the establishment of the new country, following Marquess of Jing-An's intentions is good."

"I thought that at first too, but it won't work." He Xia's anger cooled down slightly. He sighed, "There's been no movement uncovered from Chu Beijie's side. I suspect those generals have enough of credit or they're afraid of Chu Beijie, so they don't dare to put full effort into hunting them. I really want to immediately send out troops when we find Chu Beijie's location..."

He seemed to realise he had lost his composure, so he paused for a brief moment. He drank a mouthful of the served tea, calmly continuing, "There's been a lot of things going on these days. The recruiting hasn't gone well, and at first I didn't want Yun Chang to supply resources for the army, but Dong Lin, Gui Le and Bei Mo have suffered years of war. A lot of their land has been abandoned, temporarily unable to supply enough rations."

Because of the problem of forage, most of the refurbishment troops were left in Gui Le. Every part of the Yun Chang Royal Residence reminded He Xia of Yaotian, so he often felt his heart was unbearably pained and subconsciously wasn't willing to immediately return.

Of the seven Yun Chang regiments, Gui Yan's Yongxiao Regiment was annihilated at the start of the war. He Xia had used prisoners of war from the various countries to form a new Yongxiao Regiment as supplement. Fei Zhaoxing did his secret calculations. Currently, two regiments were stationed in Gui Le. One was scattered across Bei Mo and Dong Lin while the remaining three were all in Yun Chang.

The four countries had yet to settle, and the main commander was away from Yun Chang for a while. It really was a bit dangerous.

If it were the past, Fei Zhaoxing would've definitely and bluntly tell He Xia, but ever since his suspicion, he was much more reserved about everything. He stood at one side and thought about suggesting, "Chu Beijie is a scourge. Although he is currently in hiding, he mustn't be ignored. He should be hidden in Dong Lin. If one regiment can't find him, then send more people to look should be enough to find traces eventually. Why not send me, or General Cui's Ganfeng Regiment to Dong Lin, to cooperate with the hunting?"

He Xia quietened, his face unhappy as he murmured, "You probably don't know the news that just reached here this morning. Cui Linjian has been assassinated."

"Ah?"

Cui Linjian was a young general He Xia recently promoted. He was only twenty-two, but he was very smart and worked well. He was very loyal to He Xia thanks to his promotion. His death was a major blow to He Xia, who wanted to insert his confidants in the military to gradually and completely take control of all military power.