14

Perhaps it was because the tip of the Songsen Mountains had never melting snow all year round, Zuiju felt that night was colder than usual. When she woke up early the next morning, she was shocked to bits by Fanlu's gaze.

His gaze was even more profoundly dark than usual. In the Songsen Mountains, he seemed all the more like a wild beast who ate people.

Zuiju followed him silently down the mountain. Fanlu didn't use those weird mountaineering tools again. He just slowly walked through the forest. Zuiju followed behind, increasingly unsettled.

Fanlu's eyes were dangerous.

Now that she knew Pingting was not in the rocky area already, why not take the opportunity to run? Zuiju's heart thumped as she peeked at Fanlu in front.

He focused on moving forwards and had not once looked back to look at Zuiju.

Zuiju cautiously followed him until they reached a bend where she suddenly rushed for the dense forest on one side.

The wind began to howl.

Zuiju didn't dare look back to see. She already knew of Fanlu's terrifying tracking abilities in the mountains. Therefore, she kept on running without stop. The trees in the forest had already grown green leaves, not as empty as they were in winter. However, it felt Zuiju had returned to winter. Her process of desperately running to escape repeated itself.

She ran on crazily, not daring to stop and afraid to look back.

She crossed small patches of rocky areas. Dense bushes and even massive trees in the forest quickly passed her sides.

Her lungs began to burn like fire, leaving burning waves of pain.

She didn't know how long she ran or how far, but she could never support her weight again. Both her knees collapsed. She leaned on a tree, desperately gasping for breath.

"Had enough of running?" said a cold male voice above her head.

Zuiju abruptly raised her head, inhaling the cool air.

Fanlu was leisurely sitting on the tree, his icy cold eyes startling her.

Before Zuiju could take another step, Fanlu turned a somersault as he jumped off the tree, accurately landing in front of her.

"Didn't I tell you your fate if you tried to escape?" Fanlu sighed, "Why did you still try?"

Zuiju finally registered his words. "You did that on purpose." She took a step back, both frightened and angry. "You cheater, how dare...ah!"

Fanlu grabbed her, "What cheaters dare do, I dare do." He opened his fingers.

Rip! He tore a piece of Zuiju's clothing.

"No! Let go of me, let go of me!"

Rip! Another piece of fabric was torn off.

Zuiju finally understood how terrifying a man's power was. She began to cry, "I won't run, just let go of me."

"It's too late," Fanlu pressed on.

"No, no!"

Fanlu's heavy breath sprayed on her neck. His teeth nibbled her white skin.

"No," Zuiju helplessly shook her head.

Her delicate shoulders ached from being rubbed against the gravel on the ground. She could see the terrible storm clouds above.

Zuiju desperately raised her head, her body feeling cold as half of her coat had been torn to pieces, scattered in all directions. She only had her single underdress on which was completely unable to protect her.

"I beg you..."

"It's too late."

Zuiju closed her eyes in despair.

She felt the weight on her body lift, Fanlu had left instead. Zuiju opened her eyes in surprised, seeing that Fanlu had stood up and had a very alert expression on his face.

"Who's there?" Fanlu demanded.

"That Missy isn't too bad." Shadows began to reveal in groups out of the forest, forming arcs that then surrounded them. The man leading them looked at Zuiju and licked his lips, "Bro, it's not too fun to eat alone. You can start first, and then let us bros try it too, ok?"

Bandits? Zuiju's heart began to tighten. She huddled up, hugging her body.

Fanlu silently considered a little and nodded, "Indeed, it's not fun to eat alone." While he said this, he took off his own coat. He tossed it beside Zuiju's foot.

"Hah, guess you're experienced."

"But so it happens, I like to eat alone." Fanlu laughed scornfully.

All of the bandits were stunned.

"What a person who doesn't fear death." The boss fiercely beckoned to him with his chin, "My bros, attack!"

Around ten bandits had their knives flashing in the light as they rushed towards him.

Fanlu took out his light crossbow, put two arrows and shot down two with a whoosh.

"Kill him!"

Whoosh, whoosh! Two arrows flew again, but there were too many bandits. They had already forced their way up. Fanlu tossed away the crossbow in his hands and pulled out his sword. It clanged as it collided with his opponent's knives.

"Ah!" Zuiju yelped somewhere behind. Fanlu turned away and pierced the bandit that had pounced towards Zuiju.

The sound of a sharp sword splitting the air sounded behind, but Fanlu was already too late by the time he turned back. He felt an immense pain on his right forearm and fresh blood began to drip onto the ground.

Clang! Fanlu swapped his sword onto his left hand, raising his arm to block another hit. He turned back to stare at Zuiju, "Why are you still here?"

Zuiju had already picked up his coat and put it around herself. "I..."

"Scram." Fanlu coldly said these words. His expression suddenly darkened as the dissonant sound of metal entering flesh came again. His anger came out with the injury. His eyes became red as he shouted, "I'll fight you to death!"

He blocked the way to Zuiju, refusing to back away. He pressed on instead, stepping forwards several times.

Zuiju took advantage and exhausted all of her energy to run in the direction behind.

She ran back the way she came. The massive trees in the forest quickly passed her sides.

Run, run!

Even without looking back, she already knew she was far away. The sounds of killing became quieter and almost inaudible. This time she didn't need to worry about Fanlu chasing as he was already soaked in blood and wouldn't appear like a ghost above her again.

The sound of wind whirled in her ear.

Zuiju ran to a patch of rocky area, hiding herself in a little cave. The rock cave was well-hidden and should be enough to avoid the pursuers behind her, if anyone would anyway.

Huff, huff...

She panted noisily in the tiny space.