19

The war spread. Even remote villages were not spared.

The grief over the loss of the King was weaker as the cloud of He Xia's conquest hung over these people who lived by the day.

"I announce, the Prince Consort of Yun Chang has given his Order. The peasants in each village will be counted and every person must give three bags of grain. This is to be paid in full in two days, without delay."

The gathered villages started panicking.

"Three bags per person, then how are we to last through winter?"

"He doesn't want us to live!"

"Mayor," someone grabbed onto the elderly mayor who had just finished reading the Order. He cried, "You know the daily life of my family. My wife is sick so all grain has been swapped for medicine. I'm not able to give just one bag, not to mention three."

The mayor was frowning too. He lowered his voice, "What can I do? The several children in my family count too and I'm distressed over the grain too. Luo-boy, we have to pay up or else, because they're tribute to the army. If it's a bit late, they'll have your life. Those Yun Chang soldiers kill without batting an eyelid."

Luo-boy's eyes felt sour. He rubbed his eyes and slumped, "When our King was still around, we were never required to pay three bags of grain all at once. He Xia, hmph, why the hell did He Xia conquer our Bei Mo?"

"Do you value your life, daring to mention the King?" The mayor looked anxiously at their surroundings after muffling his ragged cuffs around his mouth. He warned, "Just be obedient. We don't even know where General Ruo Han has fled to, so don't try to overestimate yourself, okay?"

While he was speaking, the sky-shattering thudding sound of hooves were heard, and the crowd jumped back in fright. Everyone's head swivelled to look outside the village. They saw the flag of Yun Chang soldiers surging forwards from the distance.

"What happened? Is there anything wrong?"

The soldiers reached the village entrance and pulled their horses to a stop. The villagers looked up, momentarily blinded by the sword blades dazzling in the sun.

"Who is in charge of you?" The one in front studied the mayor, "Do you already know about the Prince Consort's Order for grain?"

"Yes, yes, it's been read."

"Did anyone make trouble?"

"No, no. We are all good peasants."

"Okay." The captain grunted and dragged out his following words, "You Bei Mo people were supposed to be our Yun Chang army's slaves, but Prince Consort has given mercy, leaving you to supply resources for the army. You are to properly grow crops and look after horses. The Prince Consort has also issued boundary placements. From now on, if the village finds any outsiders, they must be immediately reported. If you dare conceal and not report him, this village will be disposed according to rebellion. Is that all clear?"

The mayor was very frightened. He hurriedly nodded and forced a laugh, "Yes, yes, it's all clear. We are all good peasants, good peasants."

That captain saw that he had been frightened to a tremble and couldn't help laugh disdainfully. "Good peasants? Jiaokou Villiage fifty miles beyond here said that they were good peasants too, but they privately hid a few remnants of the Bei Mo army. The entire village of one hundred and seventeen was completely slaughtered by us. Hmph, I reckon we should put up a few bloody heads so that you know what real good peasants are like. Let's go, my brothers."

Luo-boy suddenly collapsed onto the ground, holding his head in his hands as he wept.

"Luo-boy, what are you crying for?"