18

The battle of countering the old forces was played fast and excitingly. Several hundred thousand soldiers tightly surrounded the capital while Yaotian panicked over finding herself pregnant. Her pregnancy helped He Xia immensely. He had an excuse to send the esteemed Princess into the depths of the Royal Residence or put under house arrest and forbidden to interfere with complicated national affairs any more.

Within a few days, a document containing Gui Changqing's signature admitting treason was brought before Yaotian. Soon after, he was displayed on Yun Chang's city wall alongside many other traitors and the rest of the Gui family so the peasants could recognise their crimes.

"Never expected that the Senior Official would...really..."

"The Gui family has always held positions of authority generation after generation, yet why are they all traitors this time?"

"Human hearts are unpredictable, very unpredictable indeed..."

The evidence steadily surfaced without end and everyday someone would report of the Gui family's treason. Now that the almighty Senior Official admitted treason, what did these utterly oblivious ordinaries know what was true or false?

Not to mention, the Dong Lin army controllers were disadvantaged in this expedition. The two disappointing generals from the Gui family, one trying to flaunt and the other an alcoholic, ended the lives of an entire regiment of several thousands.

How could anyone who sent their sons to a brutal death in war not bitterly detest these generals who cared nothing for their subordinates?

But fortunately, in such an occasion of national crisis, the Prince Consort demonstrated excellent military organising abilities by rapidly weeding out the traitors. Not only that, he re-appointed all ranks within a very short time frame. Less than a month later, the passionate atmosphere that caused the peasants of Yun Chang to be so patriotic was seen once again.

Flags flapped in the sky while a hundred thousand set off.

The Prince Consort, brighter than any light they'd ever seen, once again led the army on an expedition.

"The world is vast but there is no place where my Yun Chang can't reach!" On the city wall platform, He Xia slashed with his sword.

The Princess' dignified figure was no longer seen by He Xia's side. She was deep in the Royal Residence, pregnant with Yun Chang's future king.

The soldiers' bloods raged regardless, and they jumped for joy.

They cheered for He Xia, raged for He Xia. Because, they had a hero.

Gui Le once had He Xia, Dong Lin had Chu Beijie and Bei Mo at least had Ze Yin. But today, Chu Beijie's whereabouts were unknown, and Ze Yin retired to seclusion.

Yet He Xia now belonged to Yun Chang.

With He Xia, there was no place where the Yun Chang army couldn't reach.

What was much more surprising though was that when He Xia had led the troops out of the capital, he commanded the entire army to set up a camp just after fifty miles. He summoned all of the generals into the advisory tent for a meeting.

Once everyone had all arrived, He Xia immediately said, "The army shall change direction, not heading towards Dong Lin."

These people had already gotten used to his odd, twisty-style of thinking a while ago, so they weren't too surprised. They simply asked, "If not to Dong Lin, then where are going?"

"From now on, the army shall split up and travel at night. We'll meet at Bei Mo's borders."

Everyone seemed to understand he was planning to attack Bei Mo first.