16

The Songsen Mountains were a natural barrier, separating the two countries, Bei Mo and Yun Chang.

The small village was at the foot of the Songsen Mountains. If you were to judge by territory, this place belonged to Bei Mo but was too remote. There's no military use since it was far from any checkpoint. The village residents often went into the more remote parts of the mountains to gather herbs and hunt, not caring about Yun Chang or Bei Mo.

The Songsen Mountains are ours. A-Han would often chuckle as he yelled this.

Gazing far into the distance, he could see the year round gleaming snow. It looked cold and pale in the sunlight, like a diamond. The seed of spring seemed to have been sown in the village, because there was a large grass plain in the east, as if its young grassbuds were joyfully stretching out their arms.

Spring had arrived and shouts of life were everywhere.

"The sheep sure sound happy." A-Han happily rushed outside in the early morning. His voice was unrestrained as always as he cheerfully carried a chicken. "Missus, my family has quite the fat chickens. I'll prepare one for your baby to eat."

Yangfeng walked out from the building, putting a finger to her lips and shook her head. "A-Han, you always forget. You'll wake the sleeping baby again."

A-Han suddenly remembered and sheepishly scratched his head. "Heh, how did I forget again? I often wake my little A-Han too."

Yangfeng took the chicken from his hands, smiling, "Madam Pingting stepped out, but do come in."

"And Brother?"

"He left with Weiting for the mountains, said they were going to hunt in exchange for rice and oil."

Ze Yin and the others came to stay and organised the hunting & herding. Because of A-Han's acquaintance with Pingting, A-Han often came to visit. His personality was straightforward. It was fortunate he wasn't nosy to ask their reasons. Seeing Ze Yin's age, he called him Brother. As for Yangfeng, she was his sister-in-law of course.

"I don't need a seat. I still have to go see the horses."

"Ah, don't leave yet." Yangfeng stopped him and turned to go into the room. Not long later, she came out holding a small paper bag. "Aren't there blisters on A-Han's wife's hand? Take these herbs and boil them for her to drink."

Having mentioned his wife's blisters, he frowned in distress. "Herbs are useless. She has had a lot already, but the swelling remains. It's so painful she can't sleep at night."

"These herbs will be different. Let me tell you, Madam Pingting picked these from the mountains."

A-Han widened his eyes. "Madam Pingting can treat illnesses?"

"She knows many others too. She isn't a genius doctor, but she will be much better than that Doctor Lou when it comes to treatment." Yangfeng stuffed the medicinal bag into A-Han's hands and reminded him, "It's enough to be happy when she recovers, but don't proclaim it everywhere."

"Understood. Madam Pingting said that many times. I won't tell anyone! Sister-in-law, I'll take these herbs. If they really are useful, I will bring another chicken over." A-Han took the herbs and suddenly turned, slapping his forehead. "Look at me! I'm so stupid! To think I forgot my wife's instructions." He took out a bag from his arms. "There are two articles of clothing here, both sewn by my wife. It's a bit rough, but the material is strong. One is for Aunt's Qing'er and the other is for Madam Pingting's baby."

Yangfeng received the clothing and eyed the smaller one first. A smile lifted in her lips, "It's too small; the shoulder width won't do."

"How long could the shoulder width of such a small thing get?" A-Han was somewhat disappointed, "Try it anyway, maybe it'll fit."