20

After Dong Lin's capital was captured, He Xia sent soldiers to hunt down the remnants of the Royal House and generals. On the other hand, he ordered the Royal Residence of Dong Lin to be burned.

Thanks to the dancing fire torches of the Yun Chang soldiers, the capital of Dong Lin was enveloped by thick smoke while the bright flames in the Royal Residence dyed half the sky red.

"Royal Residence...the Royal Residence!" The peasants who remained in the capital raised their heads, their faces completely stained with tears as they watched the fire's sparks and the sharp blades.

He Xia's command to fiercely attack the remaining soldiers wasn't just to vent anger. It was costly to sustain such a huge army. No country had ever had such a vast territory, so he had to press on quickly and decisively.

To destroy a country, one must first destroy its citizens' confidence and trust.

The Royal Residence was burned down to flat pieces on the ground by the Yun Chang soldiers. To Dong Lin's lucky survivors, it meant their confidence was disintegrating.

After all, it was a symbol of centuries of the Royal House that completely disappeared in a fire. To all citizens of Dong Lin, this was the final punch to their overburdened hearts.

The Duke of Zhen-Bei that had given them such a strong sense of security was missing so who did they have to pin their hopes on?

The bad news seemed to have grown wings, flying through to every corner of Dong Lin, making the trapped Dong Lin people even more desperate.

"King, what should we do?" The news travelled from a faraway place to where the remaining soldiers were reporting to the stiffly seated Queen.

More than half of the country's land had been lost. The peasants had lost their homes while the Royal Residence was in ashes.

How did the once mighty Dong Lin fall to such a situation?

General Chen Mu had been killed in battle while Moran and Luoshang desperately protected her as she left the capital. Behind them, the sounds of killing shook the skies while the soldiers' blood splattered over her adorned clothes.

Only then did she realise that the famous general Duke of Zhen-Bei was a treasure beyond gold. No wonder when the Dong Lin warriors mentioned the Duke of Zhen-Bei, their faces would reveal a delighted and proud look.

She was no longer a lady nestled safely deep in her residence. Now, she wore rough clothing, all excess magnificence removed. She was protected by the few remaining warriors of Dong Lin as she hid in remote wastelands or forests, avoiding the army of Yun Chang's pursuits.

In the heavy darkness and anxiety for the future, the Queen often recalled the past.

Back then, Dong Lin held such power. The army was best adapted for war in the four countries, having the King and the Duke of Zhen-Bei.

Where did the bad fortune start?

"Bai Pingting..." The name formed in the Queen's mouth. She spat it out, the name that no one could ever let go of.

Bai Pingting made a move in Bei Mo, letting He Xia have a chance to intercept.

That day the famous Marquess of Jing-An, and later the Prince Consort of Yun Chang, conspired with the King of Bei Mo to poison her two underaged sons to death. It all foreshadowed the unfortunate state of today's Dong Lin.

The death of the princes caused Chu Beijie and Bai Pingting to suspect each other, but at the same time it may had them love each other more deeply.