33

But Qing Tian's situation was even more dire than expected.

Ever since He Xia gained large amounts of power, his attitude to these minor Yun Chang generals who worked tirelessly behind the scenes gradually changed. Although his rewards didn't stop, the feeling rusted away. Qing Tian was quite intelligent himself, so there was no way he couldn't tell He Xia was putting all his energy into raising his own men. Promoting Cui Linjian as the main commander of the Ganfeng Regiment was a perfect example.

This meant that if he were to establish a new country in the future, it would not be centred around Yun Chang.

It seemed to mean that all citizens from four countries would be equal.

To the people of Yun Chang, this wasn't good.

When Chu Beijie secretly visited late that night, Qing Tian was intensely distressed about He Xia. Qing Tian didn't really know why Chu Beijie seemed to appear like a heavenly god before his eyes or why he didn't call for his bodyguards either.

The Duke of Zhen-Bei, who had been missing for so long, seemed to become a dazzling folk myth. He Xia's arch enemy suddenly, unbelievably appeared before his very eyes and was trying to persuade him. This was something Qing Tian had never thought possible.

Chu Beijie's words couldn't be said to be without truth.

"General Qing has personally witnessed the methods He Xia used to deal with the Gui family. The Gui family was ruined in his hands as well as the Royal House of Yun Chang. There's no guarantee General Qing will survive and not be ruined in his hands either. As a son of a prominent family, does General Qing not want to the future generations to survive?"

Qing Tian had solemnly replied, "Don't you dare try to sow discord. I haven't done anything disrespectful to the Marquess of Jing-An, so how could he do anything to me?"

Chu Beijie saw his indignance. His smile became even deeper. "Then what did Yaotian do that was disrespectful to him?"

Qing Tian's body shook slightly, "The Princess died while giving birth."

He thought Chu Beijie would continue sowing discord, but he didn't expect Chu Beijie would sigh softly. "If that's what General Qing thinks, then what can I do? Heroic men should always die a valiant death on the battlefield, so how could Gui Changning possibly rest in peace after dying such a death?"

He was wearing clothes suited for lurking in the night, but he gave others a just and rightful feeling. In comparison to the romantic He Xia, this man had a bit more heroic courage.

Qing Tian watched him leave, his hand pressed against the hilt of his sword.

Chu Beijie visited him late at night, yet did not attack him. If this different treatment to Cui Linjian was made known to He Xia, it was certain his suspicions towards him would increase.

After hesitating for a few moments, he finally decided not to summon his bodyguards inside.

The thought of the current suspicion between major generals was really quite chilling.

General Qing Tian stiffly considered his way through the night. Dawn had yet to brighten the sky when a bodyguard stumbled inside to report, "General, not good, the prisoner in the water dungeon has escaped!"

"What?" The sleepless Qing Tian abruptly sat out of bed, his eyes as wide as bells. He urged, "How did he escape? Has anyone been sent to catch him?"

"He seems to have escaped by going underneath the water. The metal bars were loosened, and no one knows how he managed to open the prison door. General, should we immediately report to the Marquess of Jing-An?"