27

The scarlet sun rose from the east of the capital.

The light replaced the gentleness of the moon, the dominating dawn. As if mocking everyone's heavy hearts, it casted its light on the people, the capital of Yun Chang, as well as the raised flags of Yun Chang fluttering in the wind.

Under siege.

After today, the glamorous dances and sophistication of the famous Gui Le would cease to exist.

Under the shining blades of the Yun Chang army, the heavy city gates began to open inch by inch.

The King of Gui Le, He Su, brought along the Queen and other important officials of Gui Le behind him. The crown had been removed and shoes taken off, as they walked out of the gates. They were stopped from going any further, afraid of the soldiers' long spears on the two sides of the road. The kneeling figures with tears in their eyes, struggling to restrain themselves from weeping, were the numerous peasants of Gui Le.

The country had been destroyed.

Everything was over.

The Jing-An Ducal Residence was gone in flames overnight, rapidly spreading the news of the deeply respected Marquess of Jing-An rebelling and being driven out of the country. Today, the Marquess of Jing-An returned, but their country had ended instead.

On the plains outside the Yun Chang capital, He Su stood before the Yun Chang army. He abandoned his supreme identity, kneeling before his enemy.

"He Su is a sinner, incompetently leading Gui Le, resulting in the peasants' hardship. Since ancient times, treasures are only given to those with power, so He Su is willing to give the Great Seal of Gui Le to Prince Consort of Yun Chang, to represent surrender."

His tone was solemn, every word squeezed out from the back of his throat. He Su held the Great Seal with both hands, slowly raising it as he passed it over.

A country heirloom, more important than thousands of gold.

He Su knelt as he lifted the Great Seal above his head, his arms slightly trembling.

He never once thought the huge Gui Le would be ruined in his hands.

During the last moments of his dying father, he secretly urged, "You have to be extremely careful when it comes to anything regarding the House of Jing-An."

Indeed he had been careful, plotting immediately after ascending to the throne. He carefully arranged every movement, device, assembly set, and the ruthless burning of the Jing-An Ducal Residence to the last blade of grass. He pursued them hard, eventually killing the Duke of Jing-An and the Duchess of Jing-An, only leaving a He Xia behind.

Quite ironically, today, he finally realised the depths of what "extremely careful" meant.

The Queen and the thousand generals were pale, each looking as if their souls were lost, as they knelt behind He Su.

The Yun Chang army was neat and quiet, as their weapon blades gleamed harshly.

He Xia's expression seemed refreshed, in high spirits. He held the reins in one hand as his gaze slowly looked down, glancing the Great Seal quite unexcitedly. The corners of his lips rose, "Put it away."

One of his trusted soldiers answered, "Yes." He got off the horse and came over.

He Su could only feel the weight in his hand lighten, realising the Great Seal was already placed in someone else's hand. He felt Gui Le now truly belonged to someone else. The energy in his limbs vanished, almost causing him to collapse onto the ground.