13

Her nightmare had not ended. For ten days consecutively, Fanlu came with alcohol to the prison. Once, he drowsily stumbled his way to the bed, staring at Zuiju with his red eyes. Seeing his huge figure slowly threatening to her, she couldn't help but scream.

The scream brought Fanlu back to his senses.

He shook himself and shook his head as he left.

Zuiju couldn't stand such torture. A woman's nature caused her to understand the what in the coldness of Fanlu's smile meant.

She helplessly looked at the sturdy prison cell. This isolated place was even quieter and apathetic than before.

If it's really...

Then I will die.

Zuiju clenched her fists tightly.

Not knowing how many days she had endured, Fanlu finally stopped drinking.

"Why aren't you trying to escape these days?"

"Hmph."

"Tut tut, I was planning to strip you the next time you racked your brains to form a ridiculous plan. Who knew that you actually listened? What a pity, a pity indeed."

"You..."

It seemed like he was pulling an opera. With just one shake of his body, he'd become all nonchalant again. Occasionally he'd be a vicious villain or the joker who liked to tease Zuiju.

When he came to bring dinner, he suddenly asked, "Do you want to check out the Songsen Mountains?"

Zuiju looked up in surprise.

Fanlu's expression was so calm it didn't seem to know what it was saying.

"Want to go?"

"Ah?"

"It's fine if you don't." Fanlu turned around.

Zuiju started to shout. "Want! I want to go."

Fanlu's footsteps stopped. His back view was no longer slovenly but dignified.

Zuiju stared at his spine.

Idiot, he's lying to you.

Idiot, he's teasing you, like teasing a little dog in his cage.

"When I've finished arranging city affairs, we'll head out."

Fanlu only said it once, making Zuiju almost think she heard wrong. She stood in the prison, stunned, racking her brains over and over again in disbelief.

Fanlu had already left.

Although Zuiju didn't believe him at first, three days later, they set off on their journey.

Fanlu didn't bring any other companions; the two were alone.

Qierou wasn't particularly close to the Songsen Mountains. When Fanlu brought the comatose Zuiju from the Songsen Mountains to Qierou, it had taken half a month. Now that both were on horse, it would take at least ten days.

Zuiju guessed, "You're afraid I'll leak your secret."

"Hm?"

"You hid the truth from the Senior Official of Yun Chang, falsely reporting Pingting's death. If I yell a single sentence in a crowd, you're so dead. That's why you don't dare take me to places with people."

Fanlu was lazily leaning against a rock. He coldly said, "I just don't want to be the one to personally cut your neck."

Nevertheless, both people hoped to reach the Songsen Mountains as soon as possible. Fanlu was a city governor, and it was more or less an unauthorised absence.

Zuiju's heart suffered even more each step towards the Songsen Mountains.

Pingting, are you still alive?

I dearly hope I won't find you in that rocky area.

The two people on fast horses, with whips, finally arrived at the foot of the Songsen Mountains.

Fanlu found a bush to hide and secure the horse before taking out a uniquely shaped metal hook from his waist. "I'll let you see how real spies climb mountains."

He had prepared two tools, giving one to Zuiju.

The Songsen Mountains were as familiar as home to Fanlu. He was like an ape in the forest and a wild lion in the grass. Zuiju watched him easily jump over a rocky section and saw that he was deeply versed in poisonous weeds as well as various natural traps.

Back then, she and Pingting had taken several days and nights stumbling at this rocky area with great difficulty. With Fanlu leading the way, they had reached it within a day.

Zuiju was amazed.

"It's here?"

"Yeah."

No rock had changed.

Standing before the rocky area, Zuiju deeply remembered the wind and snow back then.

The wind howling, Pingting's pale face and the green glow of the luminous jade hairpin in the darkness.

"I will hurry to where Yangfeng is and get her to tell him to send his mountaineering experts with ginseng. I'll make some preparations over there, so they're ready when you arrive."

Three days, life or death, only three days.

"Pingting! Pingting!" Zuiju couldn't help shout at the deserted rocky area.

Fanlu stood afar, watching her agitatedly search.

After searching thoroughly, she searched again.

The skies gradually began to darken. Fanlu only slowly walked over when Zuiju's figure became blurry against the rocks.

The exhausted Zuiju finally stopped. She sat down, panting for air. When she heard Fanlu's footsteps, she raised her head, softly saying, "Can't find her, I can't find her." She bursted into tears as she cried in joy, "That's awesome, she isn't here. She must have left, must have left..." She was so happy. She probably went crazy as she wrapped her arms around Fanlu's waist as continued to cry. "She must still be alive. I know she wouldn't die."

When she raised her head, she was met with Falu's smile. Fanlu had never responded with such a decent smile and in the single moment of a breath, Zuiju's sanity returned.

This man, this man is...

The smile froze on her face as she lowered it. But very soon, Zuiju was even more stunned to realise that her arms were around Fanlu's waist.

"Ah!" She yelped softly, letting go, unwittingly pushing him away.

Her heart was bouncing about everywhere as if criticising her frivolous madness. She didn't have any courage to see Fanlu who had just been pushed away.

The entire Songsen Mountains seemed to stiffen and become silent.

"Hmph..."

In the silence, Fanlu sneered which was particularly chilling.

The two spent the night in the rocky area.