Reunions and Separations.

One week later.

Marco

I press play on the YouTube video I'm watching on how to do my math homework so I can see how to do the next part. I'm in a hurry to finish my homework so I can watch my new favorite videos. Sometime two days ago I came across a channel that teaches how to code and I got captured into the webs of it, I just love the way I could give the computer sets of instructions on what to do and it can do it, granted it's more complicated than that. I'm in absolute love with coding and Computers in general.

Over halfway through my homework, my door opens and I'm met with a face that I've missed so much.

My legs carry me so fast from my bed to my door as he braces to catch me although I doubt the difficulty with that.

"I missed you too buddy." Dash says into my hair before continuing. "Damn you've grown taller than the last time I was here."

"Of course I have, I drink milk everyday." I reply even though I'm still a ton small for my age, there's a slightly significant difference in my height now.

"Here I got you something." I extend my hand to him to collect the bag from him. "Don't let Bess know that I'm aiding your sweet tooth, alright?" I nod in utmost joy at the bag of chocolate and candy in front of me. There's m&m's, Starburst, Sneakers, Milky Way, Air heads, Hershey's, Lindor, Whoppers, Payday, and Skittles. It's a dream come true. "No more than ten everyday." I stretch out my pinkie and he wraps his around mine, no more than ten everyday then.

Bess calls Dashiel from downstairs and he quickly excuses himself to go see her with a promise of spending the rest of the time here. But then I'm left with Damon who stood quietly by the door all through the interaction.

A blush appears on my cheeks as I wave to him since I don't know what to say.

"Hey stud." He says as he walks into my room this time. My palms sweat a little as he comes closer, my heart always beats faster and I clam up when he's around me. Especially over the past year or so when they visit home. He takes a seat at the edge of my bed and a pout makes its way to my lips.

"I didn't say you could seat Dee."

"Oh I'm sorry, can I seat on your bed babyface?" He always has nicknames for me but that's okay, I like them.

"Yes you can." I whisper.

"How's school going?" He asks curiously and my cheeks keep heating up at the attention and genuine care from Dee.

"Fine, my classmates are a little too much but I can handle it." I'm going to the same middle school he and my brothers all went to so he definitely understands my struggle with the kids of the upper class status. Their way of thinking, not all of them but a good number of them. A whole bowl of conceited with a side of disrespect and topped with stupidity.

"I'm proud of you, ain't that right Lilo we're proud of Marco, yes we are." He says the last part with a high pitched voice like it's my cuddle bear talking. I giggle at the entertaining display in front of me. "You need help with your homework?" Dee asks after a while of me going back to my forgotten journal.

I shake my head before replying "I can do my homework by myself Dee." I may have imagined it but a look of hurt passes through his face, I didn't say anything bad, did I?

Dash comes back into my room before I can even think about asking Dee why he's sad. Dash lands on my bed with a thud and I kind of jiggle on the bed and it just makes me giggle.

"So what are you working on?"

I show him my journal and the video I was watching on my iPad before they arrived.

"Well you got this, you know Math is not my thing that's more Day and maybe a little from Trip." We both look to Dee but he's on his phone, his face scrunched up in sadness.

"Damon you okay bro?" Dash asks inquisitively.

"Yeah uhm I gotta go." He looks for a few seconds before strolling towards the door. I want to pull him back and just have him stay with me, I don't know why I always feel this way when he's around flutters in my belly, his ability to make me laugh and as well say the right things at the right time. Just everything about him is warm and it makes me feel warm and I like that feeling.

Damon

What did I expect? That Marco would still depend on me to assist on his homework?

I make my way towards my house as I think about what the message could be about. My mama had texted me to come over urgently that we needed to talk, it's scarier that she texted because she never texts me.

"Hey mom, hey mama." I kiss both their cheeks while looking between them suspiciously as to why the whole atmosphere seems so..... moody.

"Sit down honey." My mom Olivia says gently. The suspense in the air is thick enough for a knife to go through it. She practically raised me through all of my mama's affinity for work and never taking a break, so I know my mom well enough to know when she's nervous, she twirls her thick curly brown hair around her pointer finger.

"Day you know we're very proud of you right?" My mama Kelly starts and I instantly know I'm not going to like this. She hardly gives compliments, that's more of my mom's thing so this is a little weird. She's just a little harder to impress is all.

"Yeah mama I know, but is everything okay?" I look between the two of them again and I know something is amiss but I just can't point it out.

"Well uhm... we've been thinking about this for a while now and we've decided to try it and maybe the spark will return." My mom says quietly while glancing at mama.

"We're separating Day, but just for a little while." My mama finishes. I'm left dumbfounded as my parents that have been together for 29 years throw this bomb at me.

"Kelly I said we should ease him into it." My mom complains as I just stare blankly at them.

"That's what I did though." Mama replies.

They go back and forth between each other as I try to make sense of all this. Spark? Separation? They always seemed happy to me, they did fight sometimes but all couples fight, right?

"Day? Day? Damon." I'm snapped out of my thoughts at the voice calling me, I can't even tell which of my parents called. "How do you feel about all this?" My mom asks.

"I..... I don't know, like will you get back together after the separation or get a divorce? It's a lot going through my mind and I can't even focus on what I'm feeling."

"It depends on how the separation period goes that dictates what comes next." Mama replies.

"Kelly take it easy on him." My mom states a little loudly this time. And then they start another round of bickering, with my mom even slipping into Portuguese, which she does when she's angry.

Unable to listen to whatever this is anymore, I just stand and exit the house and get in my car to god knows where.