Prologue

She snapped.

June rushed to her quarters, tears streaming freely from her dark eyes as she slammed the sliding door shut. Frantic eyes darted left and right, wondering which of her belongings to pack first. Then she realized she wanted none of it.

She wanted none of the luxury. She wanted none of the precious clothing and priceless jewellery. She wanted none of the status, the fame, and the fortune.

She wanted nothing to do with this golden cage they kept her in.

The woman struggled to fit the few personal items she could cram into a burlap sack.

She failed to notice the figure standing at the corner of her room, smoking a kiseru that was delicately placed between her red lips. All she knew was she had to get away. She hurriedly tied the sack closed and went to the dresser, staring at her reflection.

June glowered at the woman she had become. The beautiful painted face, the expensive kimono, the shining accessories, it all seemed worthless to her now.

Now that she had decided that the price of being an entertainer was far too steep.

She hurriedly took out the pins in her hair, letting the dark locks loose running over her shoulders. She grabbed a wet cloth and ran it harshly over her face, not minding the pain. It was liberating. It made her feel alive.

"Are you done?"

Her blood ran cold as she realized she wasn't alone. She looked up and through the reflection, she saw the source of her suffering, the bane of her existence.

Her mentor.

"Yes. I am. I quit." She said each word slowly, venomously.

The other woman laughed as she took another long hit from her pipe. "You can't quit. None of us can."

"You underestimate me." With those three words, she tore her gaze away from the mirror, grabbed the sack and marched away from her quarters, away from her mentor.

"Where do you think you're going?!" Lady Vira shouted, livid with anger as she chased the woman. The latter had strapped her belongings to a giant creature outside the troupe quarters.

"Isn't it obvious?! I'm leaving!"

Their shouts had roused the attention of all the other ladies. They opened the doors to their respective quarters and watched the scene unfold.

"You can't just leave the troupe! You are tied to this lifestyle and occupation! Forever!" The lady spat back. "You can't walk away from your path!"

"Watch me!" June hooked her foot on the stirrup and swung her leg over the shirshu's back.

This is it. She was seconds away from freedom.

A young toddler chased after the woman, calling out her name between tears and gasps.

June grasped the reins tighter, willing herself not to take one last look at Suiren's apprentice desperately crying for her. She was too attached. She feared that if she did, she would lose the strength to move on.

She can only say her farewell in her thoughts. "I'm sorry, little Chiyo. You may not see it now, but soon, you will." 

She scrunched her eyes shut and whispered. "Come on, Nyla. Let's go." 

I'm baaaaaaaaack! 

I'm baaaaaaaaack! 

Any thoughts on the cover and prologue?

-TheGreatestConWoman-

Thank goodness for Microsoft Paint and Paint 3D.