Chapter 7: War For Yu Dao (Part 2)

One of the Fire Nation war tanks broke ranks and advanced into position. Aang stepped in front of Katara, shielding her and taking a defensive stance. Just when he thought the surprises were over, Toph and Sokka emerged from the tank. "Sokka?! Toph?!"

"Suki, too! She's driving!" Toph grinned, waving in Aang's direction.

"Aang! Katara! Weren't you guys supposed to pick me up?!"

"Sorry, Sokka! We've been kinda busy..." Aang scratched his head.

But Katara crossed her arms over her chest, matching her brother's annoyed expression. "So you decide to hitch a ride with the Fire Nation Army instead?!

"For your information, Katara, we weren't hitching a ride! We were trying to slow them down! And what about you two? Since when did defending the Fire Nation colonials become a part of the Harmony Restoration Movement?!"

Althroughout their argument, everyone else was confused. General Mak turned to his commanding officer. "Fire Lord? What's going on?!"

"I'm not sure..."

General How from the Earth Kingdom army approached Aang. "Listen to me, Avatar! Harmony can be restored right now! My army will treat the colonials we arrest more justly than the Fire Nation treated us! You have my word! However, we cannot accomplish anything if the Fire Lord's army stands against us! We have a saying among the council of five: An army with no leader is a dragon with no head!"

"An army with no leader is a dragon with no head... Did General how just imply that I should kill Zuko?!"

The general's next words confirmed his thoughts. "You alone have the power to end this quickly."

Avatar and Fire Lord shared a tense look, shared an understanding. The inevitable was near.

"General How, there has to be another way!" Aang turned to the older general.

"You know well the cost of war, Avatar. I ask you to exchange one life for many!"

Aang was about to argue further but they were disrupted as the ground shook violently. As the shaking stopped, several screw and bolts flew from the Fire Nation war tanks, and the wheels fell to the ground with resounding thuds.

"HA! Look at that! Idea guy's still got the touch! Oh, and good work, Toph!"

"The dragon may still have its head, but perhaps now, it lost its legs." Without wasting a second, he ran back to the his army and shouted. "Quickly, Earth Kingdom troops! While the Fire Nation is in disarray! By Royal decree! Enter Yu Dao and arrest the colonials!"

Hearing the opposing general's command, Zuko gave out his own order. "You're not all in tanks, are you?! Soldiers of the Fire Nation! Defend our people in the city of Yu Dao!"

And so the onslaught began. Firebenders and earthbenders ran to the front lines and charged towards the city gates where Aang and the others were.

In his mind, he saw it all. Destruction, death, another war between nations. Sadness and anger surged through him. He jumped between the forces, eyes and tattoos glowing, the wind around him howling and halting the advancing forces as he slowly ascended in the air. "The Harmony Restoration Movement was such a simple plan! Why couldn't you just follow through--!"

"Snap out of it, Aang!" Katara grabbed him from mid-air and took him away from the front lines. The action effectively took him out of the Avatar state. Without the Avatar, the fight between the Earth Kingdom and the Fire Nation began. "Don't you remember what we talked about? You have to be calm to make sure your decision is right!"