Chapter 34: Tea and Things

"Chiyo?"

"Hmm?"

"Would you care to explain something to me?"

"Sure. What is it?

"Why is that obnoxious bastard on a ship back to the Fire Nation with us?"

If Zuko's glare could set someone ablaze, Kaze would have long been a pile of ashes on the ship's front deck. The festivities in the Republic have officially ended and the ambassadors of every nation were set to return home. It caused quite the commotion when the famed musician declared he would be joining the envoys of the Fire Nation.

And it shocked everyone anew when Chiyo allowed this bold demand of his. Rumors flew left and right faster than an ostrich-horse with its tail on fire.

"I'll keep him out of trouble, Zuko." She squeezed the strong arms wrapped around her waist from behind. They were in the upper deck after a short, leisurely walk. The cool breeze of the ocean wind played with the loose tendrils of her hair, the light mist refreshed her skin, still tingling hours after their early morning lovemaking.

"He's the trouble..." He murmured against her shoulder, his expression that of a sulking child clutching his favorite toy, refusing to have anyone take it away. "I still can't understand what's going on inside that pretty head of yours, letting him come with us."

On the front deck, Kaze was playing his flute for the female soldiers on break from work. The sweet, lilting notes seemed to frolic with the wind, delighting his audience as much as he is enjoying their unwavering attention and cheers.

"He claims to have valuable information... for me." Chiyo was leaning back fully against him as her legs were still a bit weak. The warmth of his chest was exquisite, even through the casual clothes they wore. "Of course, it would be even hotter if—"

The grip around her waist tightened. "That makes me worry even more. Can't I just pry it out of him right now?"

"Zuko..."

He huffed and buried his face against the back of her neck, rubbing his nose against her hair and inhaling her natural scent. It calms him immediately to an extent and his eyes slide close. "Fine. I'll behave. For now. But can I ask what that important information is all about?"

There was a bit of hesitation before she answered. "He says he can help me figure out more about my parents. All this time I've never questioned it. Lady Suiren raised and cared for me for as long as I can remember. But finding out more about them might give me something... closure perhaps?"

"You know I never cared about who your parents were or your origins, Chiyo. All that matters to me is that you are the only person that can stand beside me, as my friend, as my lover, as the future Fire Lady, and my future wife."

"Tell that to the council and the elders who think otherwise." The words were as bitter as the feeling she gets after every meeting and discussion of Zuko's marriage and succession.

She never could get it. The same, old men who were so eager to marry her off to Ozai, were now so reluctant with their union to the point that they'd defy the current Fire Lord. It was borderline insubordination.

But unlike the tyrant Ozai, Zuko wouldn't, couldn't, take such drastic measures. As it stands, Zuko is treading on thin ice. Several issues regarding the economy, the opposition, Azula and more, had the council watching Fire Lord Zuko's every decision and move. One mistake, one wrong measure can lead even more problems.

"Soon." This one word of his held so much promise, so much hope. "Soon, I'll make them see what is so obviously right in front of their eyes."

Their cozy little bubble was broken by the excited squealing of the female soldiers when Kaze started to sing.