Chapter 12: A Bumpy Ride

"Ahhh! The open sky above us, a daring mission before us, and friends all around! Just like old times isn't it?" Sokka breathed in the fresh air of the morning as they flew away from the Capital and towards the outskirt islands of the Fire Nation.

"Even better than old times!" Aang grinned, holding Appa's reins in one hand, Katara's hand in the other. "Before, I always wanted to kiss Katara, and now I actually get to do it!"

"Aww, Sweetie!"

They shared a quick kiss in front of a displeased Sokka. "I for one could do without that part. Too bad Suki and Toph couldn't be here... Well instead of them, now we have—"

The three cast indifferent looks towards Azula, who sat at the far end of Appa's saddle, arms crossed and glaring right back at them. "Which of you miscreants did she approach first?"

"Who?"

"What are you talking about?!"

Enraged, she stood up. "None of you had even met me yet! How did she convince you to help her ruin my life?!"

She was about to get close to Sokka when Zuko extended an arm to halt her advance. "That's enough, Azula!"

Azula scoffed and looked at her brother's heated fist. "Put that away, Zuzu. It's just small talk."

Chiyo gently laid a hand on Zuko's arm to lower it, looking back and forth between Azula and Zuko. "Remember your promises... Princess Azula, best behavior. Pri—I mean, Fire Lord Zuko, no fighting."

"She started it."

"No, I didn't!"

"Yes, you did!"

The apprentice let out a small scream of frustration, getting up and sitting down between the siblings. "If any of you wants to attack the other, fine by me! But you'll have to get through me first! And spirits know I can chi-block both of you to the next morning!"

Azula and Zuko ignored each other for the rest of the ride to Hira'a, while Chiyo sat quietly in the tense atmosphere that was all too familiar.

"Just like old times, huh?"

"That's Hira'a over there!" Chiyo pointed out the small village in the horizon

"That's Hira'a over there!" Chiyo pointed out the small village in the horizon. "But I think it's better if we go in the morning instead of after sunset. The people there are... curious of outsiders."

Sokka agreed. "Good point. Hey, Aang— WHOA! What?! Is it not enough that we already have one passenger staring at us with crazy eyes?!"

All focus turned to Aang who was sporting a dark, angry expression; brows knit together, mouth twisted into a scowl. "I-I can't help it! There's something out there... like a spirit! I can feel its presence..." He brought his hands up to his face, hoping to relax the tense muscles. "Especially in my face!"