Chapter 14: The Forgetful Valley (Part 1)

She was about to enter her quarters when she heard her daughter's teasing voice coming from her son's room.

"Stop it! Y-you're lying! Dad would never do that to me!"

"Your father would never do what to you? What's going on here?" Ursa entered Zuko's room, not at all surprised to see Azula there as well. She had a good guess to what was happening as it has occurred numerous times before. Still, she held her daughter's wrist and took her out of the room.

Outside, she held both of Azula's arms and crouched down on the floor, so they saw eye-to-eye. "Spill it, Azula."

"Well... I accidentally overheard grandfather talking to Daddy in the throne room..."

"Accidentally?"

The princess nodded fervently. "Daddy asked for Uncle Iroh's birthright and grandfather got really, really mad. He couldn't believe Daddy would do something like that so soon after cousin Lu Ten's death. Now for his punishment, Daddy has to get rid of Zuko! Grandfather wants him to know the pain of losing his firstborn!"

Ursa's blood ran cold as she listened to her daughter's words and what they entailed.

Ozai was going to kill Zuko for the throne.

"Go to bed, young lady. Now." She stood up and headed for the last room at the end of the hallway.

It was their shared bedroom, yet Ursa had not stepped foot in there for years. Not bothering to knock, she threw the door open, surprising the entertainer who was on the bed, beneath her husband.

"Leave us, Suiren." Ursa had no disdain nor hate for the beautiful entertainer. One look and she could tell that her submissiveness to Ozai was born out of necessity rather than emotions.

The entertainer got off the bed and fixed her clothes, tying her long dark hair in a quick, messy bun. She stood in front of the Fire Lady and bowed deeply before departing, leaving husband and wife in the room.

"Ozai, you can't do this." Her fists were clenched tightly at her sides, resisting the urge to lunge at her husband as he fixed his robes.

He knew full well what she was raging on about. "I have no choice. Refusing the Fire Lord's command is treason. But I am a merciful man. I was just passing the time with Suiren until he's asleep. He won't even feel a thing."

She was disgusted by his lack of remorse. But more than that, she feared it. She knew what he was capable of. And she knew he would do anything to get what he wanted.

One way or another.

"I'm going to make you a deal."

Ozai scoffed and leaned against the window, arms crossed over his chest as he looked at his wife. "You have nothing I want."

"You want the throne."

There was silence before he decided to listen to her. "Go on."

"I know how to make a poison that is colorless and odorless, completely untraceable. It causes the person to pass quietly as if he'd simply fallen asleep. I'll give you a vial of it in exchange for Zuko's life. Once the poison is in your hands, you do whatever you wish."

A truly ingenious plan it was, but only if the loose ends were cut off. "I accept your plan. On one condition. Once we have made our exchange, you must leave the Capital City and never show your face again."

She took long strides to stand in front of him. "Fine. But I'm taking my children with me."

"No." He towered over her, the light from the moon casting dark shadows that made him look all the more frightening. "The children are my collateral. As long as you keep your word, no harm will come to either of them. Should you try to stay or take your children with you, I will hunt you down."