Chapter 5: Memories

"Did you know that Yu Dao is the oldest of all the colonies?" Fire Lord Zuko led Katara and Aang through the busy streets of Yu Dao. "Many of the Fire Nation families here immigrated over a hundred years ago when Yu Dao was just a tiny village at the bottom of a valley. Together with the Earth Kingdom people who were already here, they built all this."

Zuko took them to one of the blacksmith workshops and showed the display of swords, work tools and parts. "Yu Dao now makes the finest metalwork ever produced, using both Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom expertise. That's why this is one of the richest cities in the world."

"It doesn't seem like the Fire Nation citizens and the Earth Kingdom citizens share equally in that wealth..." Katara commented, looking across the street at a Earth Kingdom teen polishing the shoes of a Fire Nation noble.

"It's not perfect, Katara, but all the city's peoples, including the Earth Kingdom people, are better off now than they were a hundred years ago."

"The history lesson's great and all, but none of it matters! By betraying the Harmony Restoration Movement, you're going to start another war!"

Zuko exhaled deeply, exhaustion clear through the dark circles under his eyes. "Look, Aang, when I came here a week ago, I had planned to personally enforce the removal of my citizens in Yu Dao, but then I saw everything. I saw what my people created here. I saw what the Harmony Restoration Movement could destroy. And I changed my mind."

The argument escalated between Aang and Zuko. It was clear that neither of them would give way anytime soon, so Katara decided to mediate. "Regardless of your opinions, the Earth King needs to be a part of whatever happens next. If Aang and I can arrange a meeting, will you be there, Zuko?"

They thought about it for a while, but agreed, nonetheless.

            That afternoon, Zuko went back to the Capital, hoping to finally find some rest that has been eluding him for so long

That afternoon, Zuko went back to the Capital, hoping to finally find some rest that has been eluding him for so long. When the soldiers told him that someone was waiting for him in the throne room, he ran as if his life depended on it, hoping that that someone would be who he thought it to be.

To his disappointment, it was Ty Lee. "Hey, Zu—I mean, Fire Lord Zuko!" She waved at him with her fan, a big grin on her face, a box in the other hand.

"Hello, Ty Lee." He said, dispirited as he entered the throne room. "What brings you here to the palace?"

"Umm... I figure this would explain everything." She quickly handed him the box. "I have to go, routine check with the other warriors, See ya!"

As soon as she left, Zuko sat on the throne and inspected the box's contents. Inside were several small vials filled with clear liquid and a folded letter.

His heart lit up as he recognized the handwriting. It was Chiyo's.

Dearest Fire Lord Zuko,