Chapter 2: Duties and Visits

Chiyo sat on the bed with a gloomy expression as she watched Ai pack her clothes and other belongings into large suitcases. Tomorrow, she will be on a carriage to Hira'a together with Lady Reiko. There, she'll spend a year with the Hira'a acting troupe led by the director, Noren; and the famous playwright of Love Amongst the Dragons, Man Wol.

"It's too bad we won't get to celebrate your birthday together, my Lady." Ai sighed as she folded an obi neatly and placed it in the bag. "Sol would have a hard time making those rice cakes you like..."

"It's only for a year, Ai. As soon as I get back, the three of us can make those rice cakes and we'll have a party, okay?"

She will be turning seventeen soon, and a year after that, on her eighteenth birthday, she will become a full-fledged entertainer. Just like Lady Suiren intended her to be. Just like everyone wanted her to be.

            "Just as you were meant to be

"Just as you were meant to be." Lady Vira smiled as she brought the cup of tea to her lips and took a long sip. "Mmm... Quinta taught you well..."

"But... I can still stay in the palace, right?"

Vira set down the cup, laughter spilling forth from her. "Goodness heavens, of course not!"

"But why--?"

"When Suiren died, she had placed you under my care. And you forget," She reached forward and held the apprentice's hand, showing the latter her amber resin ring. "You are part of my troupe. Therefore, you are my responsibility. Besides, you no longer have business being here in the palace!"

            "Your Highness!" Ai's exclamation brought her out of her thoughts as the handmaiden bowed deeply

There he was leaning against the door frame, arms crossed over his armored chest, dark hair tied up and pinned in place by the golden emblem, an equally low-spirited smile on his lips that matched her own.

Chiyo stood up and bowed. "Fire Lord Zuko..."

"My duties as Fire Lord are done for the day..." Zuko strode into the room until he was in front of her, then held out his hand. "May I have the pleasure of having the most beautiful apprentice entertainer escort me through the Royal Gardens?"