Chapter 33: Drunk Mind, Sober Thoughts

"Chiyo!" Katara called out to Chiyo, excitedly beckoning her to come to their table, a liquor jar in her hand. "Chiyo! Over heeeere!" She was almost jumping in place, her braid and hair loopies swaying with her every jostling movement.

The latter excused herself from the guests giving their greetings and half-ran towards her friend that she hadn't seen in years. "Put that down, Katara! You're gonna spill it all over yourself!" As soon as she had safely pried the jar out of Katara's hands, she clasped her in a tight hug.

"Oh please, she can easily bend it out of her clothes!" Toph looked very much at home in her new uniform, a full body suit made of metal, but one that she can easily bend as a weapon if need be. Her feet were propped up on a protruding slab of rock, as was her habit. She had been assigned as Republic City's chief of police despite her young age, but she was second to none when it came to earthbending and combat.

Chiyo guided Katara to sit back down before trying to hug Toph, much to the latter's adamant refusal. "I swear to the spirits, I will cuff you to your chair!"

"I know you like hugs, Toph!" She teased knowing it would irritate her more.

"Especially from her boyfriend, Kanto!" Katara had joined in, bending the liquor out of the jar and into her empty cup with simple wag of her finger.

"Oh?! Our Toph finally has a boyfriend?!"

"He's not my boyfriend!"

"Yet!"

Their laughter didn't disturb the neighboring tables as they, too, were busy celebrating the establishment of the Republic. Everyone was busy with their wines and loud conversations, almost to the verge of shouting over the other.

A while later, Suki came over from her post, holding two large bottles of sparkling amber liquid. "I got the good stuff, ladies!"

"Suki!" Chiyo received the bottles and embraced Suki tightly.

Still in her Kyoshi Warrior uniform, she settled down next to Toph who passed her an empty glass. "Last one to come gets to drink a full glass!"

"I'll have to pass on that offer--" Suki protested but Katara had already started filling up her glass.

"That's supposed to be Katara's line, but look at her!"

Their cheeks were flushed with laughter and inebriation as the night went on. Chiyo was very eager to hear more of their stories that weren't told in the few letters they had exchanged over the years. She listened intently to Toph's rants about her ever-growing, lily-livered students, Katara's continuous research on healing and bloodbending, and Suki's training with the Kyoshi Warriors.

"Suki, how's Ty Lee, by the way?" Chiyo set down her third drink after a few sips. "She isn't causing any trouble, is she?"

"On the contrary! We're learning a lot about chi-blocking from her."

"There's less disturbances now that I'm chief of police!" Toph raised her chin and thumped her chest with a fist. "Those buffoons should think twice before even coming here!"

Suki agreed. "Still. It may come in handy when the need arises. I mean, with Azula still on the loose along the border, who knows—"

The table had gone quiet and they were looking towards Chiyo cautiously. Zuko had already warned them not to mention Azula for the time-being. But despite the slip-up, the entertainer was busy refilling her drink, unfazed. "I hope I can visit Ty Lee soon."