Shotgun in Botswana: Carmen POV - S. 2 Ep. 9

Setting a brown safari hat down on my head, I glanced up at the blazing sun and gave a bittersweet smile. I was beyond relieved that Player had let me go on this mission, but a small part of me was ready to believe that he had been right. I did feel that I'd had time to heal, but I was almost afraid of setting my recovery back by jumping into action.

Sighing, I made my way to the rugged canvas-covered Jeep that we had rented. Coming around to the left side, which was passenger in Botswana, I put my hand on the handle but almost immediately jerked it back when Zack spoke.

"I don't think so, Carm."

Turning to him, I asked, "What?"

Ivy stood next to her brother, arms folded and a determined look on her face. "I'm sitting in shotgun today."

I frowned.

Zack nodded and climbed in the drivers seat, locking the doors. "You're taking a break right now, remember?"

Hurt flashed in my gut, but I tried to hide it with a wavering smile. "R-right. OK, yeah. Of course," I hurried, backing away from the car.

Ivy gave me a sad look, her eyes guilty as Zack unlocked it for her, allowing for her to climb in front.

I stared at my hands for a second before getting in myself and buckling the seat belt across my chest. "And away we go," I muttered.

Ivy looked back at me and opened her mouth to say something, but the word changed and she just said, "Sorry, Carm."

Shrugging, I just settled back into my seat.

The car ride was pretty quiet for a while.