Carmen x Gray: Memories

This takes place before season 2

Carmen POV

My heart pounded in my chest, and I knew my palms were sweaty. Maybe this was a terrible idea. If I left now, he wouldn't see me.

Probably.

I shook my head. No, I couldn't do that. Even if this encounter was going to be the most awkward thing I had ever done, I owed it to him, to Gray. Waiting for him to finish work was agonizing, mostly because the longer I didn't see him, The more I started to talk myself out of it.

If I just left-

"Ok, Carmen, calm down. You are not leaving," I muttered, starting to pace. "Just wait for him. His shift ended just a little bit ago, it shouldn't be too long until he comes out. Remember, you are doing this for Gray."

I laughed sadly and sat down on a bench. What was I doing? Gray didn't want to see me! Even  if I was apologizing for standing him up, I still stood him up. Suddenly, the choice I had made to leave him standing there, even if I was doing it for his own safety, seemed like a terrible idea.

And even if he did remember me -which I doubted- Gray would only feel betrayed. Tricked.

His words played in my heads as I recalled what he had said. "Fashion statement aside, Mate, you'd be hard to forget. But if there is a next time, I promise not to make that mistake again."

I sighed. He probably did remember. But would he recognize me? It had been two years almost, and I wasn't wearing my coat or hat. What if-

My doubtful thoughts were cut off when the back door of the Opera House banged open, and Gray walked out, cheerfully humming a tune. My breath caught. I don't remember ever thinking that I was attracted to Gray when we were at VILE, but maybe that was because I had seen him as an older brother. Well, let's just say that those feelings had long since faded.

And now?

Oh man. Gray was hot.

He wore his blue hoodie over a white collared shirt, with jeans and black pants, and his hair was a little shorter than I remembered, but, hey. Maybe I looked different, too. Gray saw me almost immediately and stopped a few feet in front of where I sat, recognition dawning across his face. I stood from the bench and stuffed my hands into the pockets of my red hoodie. I didn't really know how to begin talking.

Start simple, I thought.

"Hi Gray-Graham." It felt strange to call him by his real name, seeing as I had never really used it before. We both just stood there. "I- you probably don't really remember me very well. I'm Car-"

"Carmen," he finished, smiling shyly.

My heart skipped a beat. I suddenly was hit with how much I had missed Gray, and I could barely resist the urge to throw my arms around him. "Y-yeah," I stuttered, a little surprised.

Gray laughed softly and winked at me. "I promised that I wouldn't forget you, didn't I?"

I blushed, and he noticed, and then suddenly I was blurting out the words I've been dreading to say for months. "Graham, I wanted to apologize for... for ditching you that night." I cleared my throat and met Gray's eyes, which may have been a mistake. It was hard to speak when he was watching me so intently, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. I continued the best I could. "I-I had a reason to leave, but I know that I can't really excuse something like that. It was extremely uncool of me, and I'm sorry if I hurt you." I looked down again. "Thanks for listening. That's all I wanted to say."