Carmen x Male Reader- "Might I Help?" Pt. 1

Requested by realWanganHedgehog

Carmen POV

I sucked in a deep breath, my hands working quickly over the straps on my glider as the brisk evening air forced its way through my sun-lit auburn strands. I had tucked my hair into a high ponytail after seeing how windy is was tonight, and fortunately I wasn't regretting that decision quite yet. My hat easily fit into one of my glider's hidden compartments, after all, and didn't risk falling off.

"Alright, Red. Think you have enough info about the Uffizi Gallery for the caper?" Player's voice chirped happily from my link earring, the soft clacking of keys bouncing around occasionally.

I tapped the onyx stud, my other hand finishing its work. "I think so. From what I've gathered, VILE's targeting the items in question in the middle of July because they know that peak travel season means crowds and lots of innocent bystanders. But I'm not completely sure why they would choose this time period for that specific reason, and then bash it away by striking at night. I understand doing the job during the day, there is the possibility of plenty of witnesses, but mass chaos is easy to bring on if people are cramped and confused. Even more so," I continued, reaching up to redo my ponytail, "they're passing up an opportunity to catch me off guard. Obviously, one of my main priorities is to protect the citizens and tourists around me, and I'm sure VILE knows that, so why aren't they exploiting it?"

Player laughed. "You're doing it again," he said.

My brow furrowed. "What? What am I doing?"

"You're overthinking it. I think it's just that VILE's scared. Sure, going in the day has its advantages, but they aren't the type to show their true face, and it's easier to steal in the cloak of darkness. They're going with easy and sneaky, over challenging and helpful."

"Helpful as in the chance to snatch me?"

"Oh, I'm sure they'll try to anyway-"

"Or to kill me," I huffed.

"...Right, yeah, they might. But whatever, you know? You've got this. They've sent their best after you, Red, and you won. If you can best Coach Brunt, I'm sure a little perimeter sweep paired with a bait-and-switch should be a walk in the park."

A smile curled my lips. "Hey, speaking of parks, did you know that Italy has 24 National Parks established throughout the country?"

There was a beat of silence. "Red, we info-dumped each other like, four hours ago. Even Zack had something to say, about the gelato from when we were in Madrid. Besides,that wasn't even a strictly Florence fact."

I shook my head with a chuckle. "I'm not even in Florence yet, man. But, I gotta say, the view from the top of the Coliseum is just breathtaking. I should've come sooner, to have more time up here." I was positioned between two outcroppings of stone on the huge, ancient structure, my gaze traveling over Rome as the sun set lazily in the distance.

My smile quickly fell as I shook my head regretfully. Why are all the most beautiful sunsets on nights where I'm busy?

"There's always tomorrow, Red," Player offered.

I sighed, then sucked in a breath. "You're right. And I need to focus, so let's get into work mode, 'kay?"

There was a laugh. "I am in work mode, Red. Anyway, yeah. Let's go. Florence is elevated a lot higher than Rome, so you won't be able to get too far by glider, and that's if you catch the right wind current. But Ivy and Zack should be waiting for you with a car. If Zack is gunning it, you should be able to get there faster than assumed."

I nodded, securing my fingers around the straps on my shoulders as I gazed down at the ground before blinking at the skyline. "Got it. Just tell me when to jump."

"Ok..." Player hummed, concentration enveloping his voice as he monitored the air flow around me with a special scanner he'd integrated into his system. "In three, two... Go!"

I launched off of the Coliseum, flexing my legs so that they didn't flail around, and pressed the latch that let out my glider. It unfolded in one, graceful swish, and I let out a tiny, childish giggle as I was pushed higher into the sky.

To the Uffizi Gallery I go.

Reader POV

You stare angrily from the shadows as the museum guards unload a box from the new shipment truck. You had been tracking this package as soon as it popped up on your radar, and it filled you with disgust that someone other than you had their hands on it.

They had no right to whatever was in that box. Especially not a group of thieves.

"Alright," you murmer quietly, moving along the darkness as two, whether men in dull blue jump suits got out of the truck and assisted the guard. Pulling up the hood of your jacket, you narrowed your eyes at the men before turning them to your watch. Just a few more minutes, and the guard's shift would change, signaling your chance to enter the building and get away with your prize.

The cool, watery scent of the Arno river suddenly washed over you, followed by a light 'woosh.' You ducked back with a curse as a dark shape flew over you in the night sky, a flash of red highlighted by the moon before disappearing. You tracked it with your eyes as it traveled swiftly to one of the building's many ledges. It, too, was swallowed by the shadows, and there was a soft red glow that lit up a pair of striking gray-blue eyes.

You growled as the eyes disappeared through a window. Someone else was here for the artifacts. Your artifacts.

Which didn't sit well with you at all.

So sorry that this took so long! Updates are still pretty uncertain. Thanks for everyone's patience!!