Carmen x Male Reader Pt. 3

Reader POV

Today is your last day in Buenos Aires. You're jittery with excitement as you hurriedly pack your bags, flying around the room you'd been sleeping in at your tiá's house and gathering up your clothes. You're going to tell her. You're going to tell Carmen how you feel. You had decided that it needed to be done today, before you left the country again, and before she did the same. You had a date with her a few hours before you needed to go to the airport with your mamá, and you fully intended to put the time you had to good use.

Even if Carmen didn't return your feelings, long distance friendships always worked out okay, right? You could talk over the phone, see her smile, even through the screen. "Mamá! I'll be heading out soon, okay?" you yell up the stairs, careful to speak in Spanish as to not make her angry. "I'm meeting Carmen at the park in half an hour."

Her face appears in the stairwell, then smiles brightly. "See if she'll come to the airport with you, Y/N. I want to meet her. She sounds lovely."

Your face burns, but you have to admit that you're happy about Carmen already making a good impression on your mother. "Madre, I don't even know if she has time."

She just waves a hand in dismissal. "Oh, she'll have time. Don't worry."

You sigh as she leaves, then manage a laugh. Your mother was a very strong willed woman, but you loved her to death. "I'll ask, I guess," you mutter, closing your suitcase and dragging it up the stairs to grab your shoes.

"Wait, wait! Y/N, here!" Your tiá suddenly appears, thrusting a small bag of polvorones de caneles into your hands. "I just finished baking them. I think you mentioned her liking cinnamon? A way to a girl's heart is through her stomach, after all." She leans back to survey you. "Fix your hair, niño."

You obey, patting the strands halfheartedly and curling the tips around with your finger for a second. Your aunt tuts quietly and runs a hand through it herself, then beams.

"What a handsome young man you are, Y/N."

You smile, then kiss her cheek. "Gracias, Maya. I'll see you at the airport." Holding your shoes and the small bag in one hand, you open the door and make your way to the end of the driveway, the sit and slip your shoes on. You see your mother watching with a raised eyebrow, and you grin at her. Just because I'm 23 doesn't mean I have to act like it, you mouth to her, and she laughs before heading back inside.

Carmen POV

I get to the park almost at the same time that Y/N does, and I smile as he walks up to me. I'm leaning against a tree, enjoying the dappled shade from the leaves, and he props himself against the bark next to me. "So. You excited to go to Mexico, Y/N?"

He shrugs. "I love seeing my family, of course, but... I guess I really like it here in Buenos Aires."

I try not to see too much into the comment, but it's basically impossible.

"So." Y/N leans down to pluck a leaf. "You wanna go eat first, or just... sit and talk?"

I grab a leaf of my own and pretend to study it intently. "Eating sounds nice. But, then again, talking does too."

His face lights up, and he takes a small bag from his pocket. "Wanna do both then? My aunt made polvorones de caneles for us."

I smile. "How did she know I love cinnamon?"

Y/N blushes, blinking. "Uh, I told her. I remember that you said something about it earlier, and she wanted me to surprise you."

I bite my lip, then laugh. "Well, thank you. To both of you."