Chapter 1: Ascension Day

"Welcome everyone!" Xisuma shouted over the chattering crowd, who immediately ceased their conversations to turn towards the God of Life.

"Happy ascension day" Xisuma continued, his eyes gleaming in happiness as he looked at each God in turn. "As most of you know, every 100 years we all gather in my humble home to celebrate our new brothers and sisters who have joined us within the last century"

Mumbo looked around at the gleaming marble palace he had been welcomed into. The phrase humble home was a bit of an understatement.

"Now in the last fifteen centuries or so we have had a significant decrease in ascensions" Xisuma continued. "And this century was no different. Do not be upset! The lack of ascensions means we are doing our job of keeping the humans safe and happy. They do not need any more than what we give them to thrive"

He spread his white wings slightly in pride.

"However, we did have one new ascension! With the rise of technology, electricity, and engineering 80 years ago, we welcomed Mumbo Jumbo, God of Redstone"

Mumbo felt his face flush in embarrassment as all eyes turned to him and the small crowd of ethereal Gods began to applaud him.

"Th-thank you" he managed, bowing his head at Life, who gave him a dazzling smile.

"Please eat, drink, and be merry" Xisuma said raising his chalice. "It is not often we take a break from our duties. Why should the humans have all the fun?"

The crowd laughed lightly in appreciation and followed Life's lead as they took a sip of their drinks.

Music waved her hand and a pleasant melody began to swim through the hall, highlighting the joy and satisfaction of its occupants.

Mumbo glanced affectionately at the black markings on the back of his hands. He traced a slender finger over the curved lines and branches that formed the symbol of technology that belonged only to him and felt his lips turn upwards in contentment.

Looking around the room, he was met with passing smiles and waves from a multitude of Gods he did not know. Even after 80 years in the heavens, he had not acquainted with many of them.

This was not surprising. They all had their own duties and jobs to do, and besides, the heavens were vast and expansive. This was the first time since Mumbo's ascension he had even been back to this area of the ethereal world.

He groaned inwardly at the memory of meeting Life and Death. How awkward and nervous he had been!

Yeah because you are so different now a small voice in his head drawled.

"Mumbo!"

Music and Laughter strode into view, smiling brightly at him.

"Hello!" Mumbo replied, allowing his shoulders to relax slightly.

Music and Laughter, or Stress and Iskall as they preferred to be called  by their chosen names, were the first two Gods to greet him besides the five primaries when he had begun his duty, and they had become fast friends.

Mumbo was too shy to say so, but he was quite thankful of them for letting him join their small group. As far as he could tell, Iskall and Stress had been close for a long time as their duties of maintaining music and laughter in the human race often overlapped.