Chapter 10: The Beauty of Chaos

Before I start, I want to thank you guys so much for 1k reads on this story! It really means a lot to me, and I can't thank you enough for the support!

Grian watched Mumbo devour his share of rabbit stew with vigor, clearly not used to the sensation of hunger.

"Do you want seconds?"

"Yes please!" He glanced at Grian's bowl which was still three quarters full and frowned. "Aren't you going to eat?"

"I ate"

"Aren't you going to eat more?"

"Eh" Grian shrugged as he pushed his helping across the table and took Mumbo's empty bowl. "I ate all I need"

Mumbo looked as though he wanted to argue, but his stomach growled loudly before he could, making Grian smirk and nod towards the stew.

"Eat. I don't need you complaining all night"

Mumbo flushed and picked up the spoon.

"I-I don't complain that much"

"Oh really? Grian, my hands hurt! Grian, I'm hungry! Grian, I'm cold! Grian, I don't want to hunt! Grian, I can't shoot a bow to save my life!"

Mumbo's jaw dropped and he sputtered madly, a dark scarlet blush creeping up his neck to stain his cheeks.

"I-I... y-you-"

"Ah just eat your soup" Grian chided, suppressing a laugh at the pout he received from the young God.

I wouldn't tease him so much if he wasn't so reactive.

After Mumbo finished eating and his face had returned to its normal complexion, the two retired to the living room.

"Do you, um, want to see how the record works with the phonograph?"

Grian did his best not to show any excitement but he couldn't help a slight smile from curving his lips.

"Sure I guess"

He sat with his cheek leaning against his hand, watching as Mumbo did his beautiful display of drawing glittering red lines through the air.

Within a minute, the strange music machine was clattering down on the table, and Mumbo was carefully placing the strange black disk in the center.

Grian's eyes widened in surprise as light classical music began floating from the speakers.

"How are you doing that?!"

Mumbo chuckled lightly making Grian kick himself for getting so obviously excited.

"Do you... like it?"

Grian nodded, allowing himself to relax a bit under Mumbo's relieved expression.

He's your friend now. Don't be so... yourself.

He felt the tight squeeze in his chest, the well known self reminder of his own worthlessness, and took a breath.

He showed you something amazing, so you need to give him something.

"Do you want to see something cool?"

Mumbo nodded, and Grian beckoned him to follow him out the door.

They walked across the frozen ground, the silence of the night permeating their eardrums.

"Where are we going?" Mumbo asked, shivering slightly.

"We need to get to a place where humans can't see us" Grian responded, shrugging off his cloak and giving it to the younger God. If it hadn't been dark he probably would've seen the dark blush that spread across Mumbo's face at the repeated gesture.