Chapter 19: The Price of Peace

"Get back here!" Mumbo griped, scowling as the tawny cat slipped from his grasp and ran up a nearby tree. "Look, I'm sorry I scared you away. I know you don't like me but you like Grian right? Don't you want to go see him? Don't you want to help me make him happy?"

The cat hissed, flashing its claws, and Mumbo stomped the ground like a child.

"You are so frustrating!" He yelled.

"Mumbo?"

Mumbo shot one last glare at the cat before turning to greet Grian, his gaze softening instantly at the sight of his companion.

"Who were you yelling at?" Grian asked, sidling towards him and looking around the clearing, his lips twisting in confusion.

"I was, uh..." Mumbo glanced up at the tree where the cat sat. "Well I was trying to get that cat from last month, but I don't think he liked me very much"

A smile stretched across Grian's face as he looked up.

"Hello!" He cooed reaching his hand up as far as he could. "Mumbo, I can't reach"

"I can't either, so of course you can't" Mumbo said, smiling as Grian shoved him gently. "Here"

He gripped the small God by the waist and hoisted him up on his shoulder, making Grian squeak in surprise.

"Mumbo!"

"What? Now you can reach" he chuckled with a grin.

Caught between wanting to smack him and thank him, Grian just stuck out his tongue and turned his attention back to the cat.

He reached out an arm, letting the creature smell his hand before moving to  actually touch it. The cat meowed in acceptance, lifting its head so Grian could scratch under its chin.

"That's a good girl, you're so good"

Mumbo bit his lip as to not interrupt, although the overwhelming cuteness of the situation was pulverizing him. He felt a tap on his head and looked up to see Grian smiling at him.

"Hello? Anyone there? You can put me down now"

"Oh r-right"

He carefully lowered Grian to the ground, allowing his hands to linger at the small God's hips a bit longer than perhaps was necessary.

"Come on Mumbo Jumbo, I have a lot of deliveries to get done today"

Mumbo trotted obediently alongside him as they made their way to the village. He insisted on carrying the majority of the packages, and simply took them from Grian's arms when he was refused.

"I swear, you might be more stubborn than even me" Grian muttered, holding up his arm to block the beams of light from the low hanging sun.

"Impossible. I could never reach such a standard"

Grian laughed softly and shook his head.

"You really have gotten-"

Mumbo dropped the packages in surprise as a tall broad man appeared from nowhere and struck Grian across the face, knocking the small God to the ground with a loud thump.

"Grian!"

Mumbo ran to him and crouched by his side, shaking hands reaching out to help him up.

To his utter shock and dismay, Grian flinched away from him, one hand on his face to hold his mask in place, the other wiping blood from his mouth.

"Looks like your freak doesn't want you to touch him"

Mumbo turned, his concerned expression instantly transforming into a withering glare as his eyes fell on Jevin. The smirk on his face made Mumbo's blood boil.