Chapter 17: Mumbo.exe Has Malfunctioned

"Mumbo, I really don't know why you're doing this to yourself"

Mumbo shook his head, sweat dripping from his hair as his lungs screamed for oxygen.

"I... I'm getting... better though... right?" He asked, breathing heavily between words.

"Um, yes?"

Mumbo raised an eyebrow and Grian grinned a bit guiltily.

"How... are you... not tired? We've been... doing this... for three hours"

Grian bit his lip and looked at his feet.

"I mean... you don't pose much of a challenge"

Mumbo felt his jaw drop.

"Hey!" He yelled indignantly.

Grian snorted and Mumbo felt himself soften at the small God's smile.

"Maybe we should stop. I told you, I can protect both of us"

"No!" Mumbo cried, standing up straight, trying to regain what was left of his dignity. "I want to do this!"

"Ok, ok" Grian placated. "Let's just... take a break ok?"

"I... yeah... yeah ok"

He slid back down the wide tree and Grian, after a slight hesitation, sat next to him.

"You are getting better you know"

Mumbo rolled his eyes.

"We've been at this for a week and I still can't dodge your attacks. You don't have to lie"

Grian shrugged.

"Yeah, I know, but you look so pitiful. Besides, I'm having fun"

Mumbo tried to maintain an annoyed expression, but felt his lips quirk up as Grian nudged his shoulder playfully.

He didn't move away afterwards either.

Mumbo slowly relaxed his weight against Grian's arm, his chest blooming with sudden warmth.

"Grian..."

"Yeah?"

What happened to your face?

Why did you leave the heavens?

Will you take off your mask?

Why do the primaries think you're dangerous?

Why do you always have nightmares?

"How... did you get so good at fighting?"

Grian turned his face away so Mumbo could only see the back of his ear and the tuffs of dirty blond curls that stuck out from his hood.

"I just... learned from experience"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean the ground can be a dangerous place, especially when you're small" he snapped.

"...oh. Well, if you don't like it down here, why didn't you try going back up-"

"I think we need to take a different approach to training you" Grian said, cutting Mumbo off and standing up so they were no longer touching.

Mumbo blinked and sighed.

You pushed too much. Nice job.

"Like what? We've tried having you dodge me, having me dodge you-"

"Maybe dodging isn't your thing. You might do better with strength" Grian suggest, tossing his stick-like dagger to the ground. "How about this: I'll try to pin you down, you try to pin me down. Maybe you'll be better with contact fighting"