Chapter 3: Afternoon Tea

"What are you-"

"Shh"

"Why-"

"Don't talk"

"But-"

"Mumbo! Is shut up really that hard to understand?"

Mumbo clamped his mouth shut, a pang of embarrassment resonating in his chest.

He walked swiftly to keep up with Grian. For being so small this God really did move fast.

"Grian"

Grian stopped so suddenly that Mumbo ran into his back. He turned, his lips twisting beneath his mask. Mumbo could tell he was surprised.

"Sorry I didn't mean to bump into you"

"No... it's not..." Grian shook his head. "Nevermind. Keep up"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. Hurry up!"

He swished his cloak with a dramatic flare and sped along the road, Mumbo jogging to keep up with him.

"Can I just ask one question?"

Grian sighed and slowed his pace to walk next to Mumbo.

"I'm assuming even if I say no you'll do it anyway"

Was that a yes? With so many questions running through his mind, he struggled for one that seemed appropriate to the situation.

"Um... where are we going?"

Grian gave him a sideways glance.

"What did I say in the shop?"

Mumbo racked his brain. How can I forget something that happened five minutes ago?

"You said... you were going to take me for tea"

"Then you have your answer" Grian responded, nodding.

"Wait you were serious? I thought that was just something you said so we could talk alone"

"What makes you think I'm so starved to have a conversation with you Mumbo Jumbo? " He stressed Mumbo's name with a smirk teasing the corners of his mouth. Then he sighed. "I did say that to get you out of there so we could talk, but there's no reason it has to be a lie. Besides, I really can't be seen with you in those clothes"

He turned suddenly and opened a door to a small corner shop. It was painted white and baby blue and bags of tea and fancy teacups hung in front of the windows. The inside was very warm and soft chatter reached Mumbo's ears.

The short plump woman at the counter smiled at Grian as soon as she saw him.

"Hello my dear. How can I help you?" Her demeanor was that of a sweet grandmother.

"Table for two please ma'am. Somewhere in the back if you don't mind" Grian requested charmingly. He spoke in a soft musical voice that was clearly suited to get him what he wanted. Maybe he had the power of persuasion? Even Mumbo wanted to do what he said when he spoke like that.

Unsurprisingly, the woman smiled even wider and nodded.

"Of course! Will a young lady be joining you?"

"No" Grian pulled on Mumbo's sleeve so they were standing together. "He's my plus one"

The woman did a small double take at the sight of the tall man. She looked slightly scandalized, but plastered on a kind smile nonetheless.