Chapter 18: I Promise

"Come here... pss pss pss pss pss..."

Grian lay on his stomach, one arm stretched out in front of him towards a mewling tawny cat. He could feel the cold dewy grass soaking his shirt, but paid the discomfort no mind.

"I won't hurt you, I promise. Come here"

He clicked his tongue a few times and the cat moved close enough for the small God to scratch under its chin. It began to purr heartily, and quickly moved to press its body into Grian's hand.

"There we go..."

Grian sat up slowly as to not spook the small creature, and lured it closer until it curled up in his lap. He stroked the soft fur and couldn't help the giddy smile that creased his lips.

"So good, you're so good" he cooed as it leaned its head into the God's chest.

Grian giggled as the cat licked his neck, it's spiky tongue skidding across his skin, leaving goosebumps in its wake.

"Stop, stop, shhh. My friend will hear me"

It meowed loudly and he giggled again.

"I do the opposite of what everyone tells me to also"

The cat cocked its head and Grian shrugged.

"I don't know why, it's just more interesting that way. The world is so boring when everyone just does as they're told"

He scratched behind its ears and the purring resumed.

"Of course, that's why they made me..."

The cat looked up and Grian smiled sadly as he captured the marigold eyes with his own.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't trouble you with my punishments"

He kissed its head, breathing in the scent of petrichor that lingered on the animal's coat.

"Hmm... I could tell you about... the heavens, they're awfully pretty. The people aren't great though, I wouldn't recommend it. Oh, I bet you'd have loved ancient Egypt! They would've worshiped you. Although speaking as one that used to be worshiped, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Italy during the renaissance was beautiful as long as you don't mind some backwards medical practices. Heh, there was this joke Socrates used to-"

The cat suddenly sat up and looked over Grian's shoulder. It hissed loudly and batted his ear as though saying, behind you!

"Ah... um, hi"

Grian whirled around to meet Mumbo's sheepish gaze, and the cat jumped at the sudden movement, scampering away into the woods.

"Oh, I-I'm sorry" Mumbo stuttered. "I didn't mean-"

"It's fine" Grian sighed, standing up and brushing dirt from his cloak. "Forget about it"

He began to walk back towards the cave and Mumbo jogged to catch up.

"You're a real cat whisperer, huh"

Grian rolled his eyes and faked a cough into his elbow to hide his grin.

"Shut up"

Mumbo only chuckled and held out his arm. Grian grasped his sleeve, smiling as the immediate sense of presence made his shoulders relax.

You're lucky it's so hard to stay mad at you.

They walked most of the way in silence, Grian having nothing to say, and Mumbo having so much he couldn't make up his mind.

"We should continue training with the daggers today. You're getting a lot better"

"Later" Mumbo said, holding the door for his smaller counterpart. "Have you eaten?"